AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of finishing my basement, which includes an area for a home theater.

As a result, I had an A/V guy come out and give me a proposal, which included an Optoma RD50 HDTV, and a sound system composed of a receiver and 6 different speakers (e.g. 2 bookshelf, 2 ceiling, 1 center channel, & 1 subwoofer)!

Not only are the speakers expensive, but they're kind of big as well. Do I really need all of those speakers? Especially if I plan on using the theater to watch mostly news and sports? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,963 Posts
well, do you want a surround sound system or not?

size can be worked on, to some degree, but yes, you'll need at least that many speakers to do it properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking the question. Would you recommend surround sound for somebody who primarily watches news and sports? If not, is there such a thing as enhanced stereo that might involve fewer speakers and a more affordable receiver? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Give us numbers. What he's proposing and what you want to spend. What models is he pitching?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally, he was proposing a Harman Kardon AVR 225 receiver with a Klipsch RW 10 subwoofer, RB15 bookshelf speakers, RC25 center channel speaker, and CSR650R in-ceiling speakers for about $1,676 + tax, installed.

I asked him if surround sound was a necessity for somebody who mostly watches news and sports, and he came back with an enhanced stereo option which included a Harman Kardon HK3380 receiver and the Klipsch RB15 bookshelf speakers for $618 + tax, installed.

Money isn't as much of a concern as the placement of the speakers (my wife would prefer to have all of the speakers built into an entertainment center) and whether I'd really notice that much of a difference with the type of programming listed above. Thanks.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Why noT get HDTV RPTV and live with the built in speakers and one could augment the sound with sub behind it .

WAF will kill HT fun everytime .

·
Registered
549 Posts
RPTV stands for Rear Projection TeleVision. That's exactly the type of your suggested Optoma RD50 HDTV. WAF stands for Wife Approval (or Acceptance) Factor. That's some unevenly measurable, never scientifically quantifiable, rarely logically explainable, but overall mightly important factor in any HT (HomeTheatre) project.

Kidding aside, I think you might need to audition some surround sound system (in some mid-high end audio store) against the "enhanced stereo" (aka "fake") sound to hear for yourself. My personal opinion - if you are to build dedicated HT room, surround sound is a must, unless you are hardcore, ironcast stereophile and just plain hate multychannel sound. :)

Edited to add: Ops. Whil I was typing, the post I've been answering to disappeared. Well, let it be so...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Buy the TV. When the "wow" factor wears off, go to some audio shops and hear what type of sound is possible to go along with the "wow" picture. Until then hold off on the audio gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.