AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a new screen.

my current 100'' screen is WAY to rough.

I cannot decide if I want to put my center channel behind the screen for better imaging...

or If I should go with a smoother flat material (no "pores") to achieve the best "WOW" factor out of my Projector...

what do you guys think ??

·
Registered
347 Posts
Home users have had issues with perforated screens - especially moire.

One high-end user on the "What would I not do if I did it again" forum said they would not use a perforated screen for this very reason.

A 100" screen isn't actually that big and I don't think you'd gain that much from placing the centre speaker behind it. When watching a movie our brains tend to associate sounds with what they see, and the exact source location of the sound is secondary.

One thing you might consider is tilting the centre channel up slightly to point at the main listener (or down if you place it above your screen).

At 100" - if you're in an area where you can get Do+Able board (Western States), why not pick up a sheet and try it. It's throw-away if you don't like it at

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
This is a little off topic in the screen forum but then again its not because I have seen a lot of people compromise screen size or screen placement because of this center speaker thing. Most of us have screens in the 80 to 120 inch size and sit back in rooms that are longer than they are wide at a distance of about 10 to 16 feet rarely do I see home theaters where the viewer is wildly off angle after all that’s the idea behind home theater is everyone gets a perfect seat right?

I do something in my room called a phantom center channel. So my surround is a 4.2 setup with no center. When you set your surround receiver to 4 it takes the center information and sends it to the right and left proportionally and gives the stereo effect we all grew up with. Voices appear to come from wherever the person is on the screen. there is no lost information just redirected. The center information is in most cases the dialog and with many of these 5.1 setups the center is the smallest of the speakers. I chose to put more money into the right and left and let hem do the job. I have my right and lefts setting on top of the two 12” subs and that puts them right at ear level for both rows of seats.

Photo below.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Can all receivers be set to 4?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/12908106

Can all receivers be set to 4?

I'm far from an expert on this but as far as I know all receivers allow you several different mode of listening. I often switch mine to plain stereo also and find in certain movies I like that better. Personally I don't think I'm missing anything without the center channel. It's a controversial topic over in the audio forums and its something each person should try for themselves. In my case screen size overruled the center. I'll post a picture below that shows I didn't have any room for a center and couldn't move the screen close for AT.

The above picture was taken before the subs were done but shows the screen comes within 2 inches of the floor and also the ceiling. Getting a 120 4:3 screen into a room with a 6'4 ceiling height was no easy trick.

But if your room is longer and narrow I don't think most people would notice the lack of a center speaker when doing a phantom center.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It is more then just the centre channel that belongs behind the screen, all the speakers do. As well in some instances you can fit a wider screen in your room if you put all your speakers behind the screen, that is one of the main reasons I went with an AT screen. My screen would of been less then 92" if I had to leave room for the speakers on the side.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar /forum/post/12931339

It is more then just the centre channel that belongs behind the screen, all the speakers do. As well in some instances you can fit a wider screen in your room if you put all your speakers behind the screen, that is one of the main reasons I went with an AT screen. My screen would of been less then 92" if I had to leave room for the speakers on the side.

Now thats STEALTH

I love it... as much as I love looking at speakers, it looks SO much more mysterious to have NONE visable. I find that it lets my mind relax while watching movies and not pinpoint the source of a sound due to being able to see the speakers...

what Material did you use? does the fact that it is more pourous & textured decrease from the screens smoothness and "wow" factor ?

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza /forum/post/12933478

Now thats STEALTH

I love it... as much as I love looking at speakers, it looks SO much more mysterious to have NONE visable. I find that it lets my mind relax while watching movies and not pinpoint the source of a sound due to being able to see the speakers...

what Material did you use? does the fact that it is more pourous & textured decrease from the screens smoothness and "wow" factor ?

My screen is the ever popular Phifer Sheerweave

You can check out my screen build here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=891907

My previous temp frame was made from BOC, granted I'm sure most would say BOC is a step down from the do-able solid material frames people have made, but for comparison's sake I'd say my current screen is every bit as sharp and smooth now as it was on the BOC.

I did do side by side comparisons against the BOC, with it drapped over this current from and could not really tell much of a difference between the two.

Black ceiling and stained dvd shelf coming this weekend with nice dark brown walls and carpet to follow in the near future, hopefully some nice home theatre seating later this year and after that some 'real' sound, I just have a super cheap surrounds right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts