AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally put equipment in my media room and discovered...months after the contractors have left...that sound is going through the duct work. While I soundproofed the ceiling I neglected to notice that the HVAC guy extended a vent into the room from the main HVAC path instead of a separate connection. The rest of the basement is on a separate line and I will still have one vent in the room but I feel I have to eliminate this one. Any suggestions on how to best eliminate this without having to re-drywall my ceiling.

Being in the basement the extension leaves about a foot between the main column air flows through and the vent. As an experiment I stuffed some towels in that area and found significant improvement. Can I just cap it with a solid end instead of a vent plate? I'm open to any ideas but since I drywalled the ceiling I'd like to consider options that don't include ripping out the drywall around that area.:confused:

·
Registered
274 Posts
you could try to line the duct with dynamat, a 1mm sound dampening material. Or you could also line it with ductboard, a stiff fiberglass material available at any Lowe's. this should decrease the sound transmission abit. You may want to do a search on the forum, I know that in the past other have had similar quesions.

best wishes!

pat

·
Registered
469 Posts
You did not state what speakers you used. Were they in Walls? There are certain manufacturers that offer a back box or enclosure. Some, like the Speakercraft are fire rated but they also cut down on sound travel, and they tighten up the bass response as well. Triad makes backbox (enclosures that are retofittable into your walls. The Speakercraft are not retrofittable. MTX has a new series of in walls & in ceilings that have back boxes which would help in the sound travel. Their 620WE are in walls; their 620CE are round in ceiling models. The in Ceiling models require about 5" in height to fit them in. Posh also makes in walls & in ceiling models that have backboxes. Disabling ductwork is probably not a good idea. Putting insulation in your walls after the fact, would not be easy, at this point.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Well a foot sure isn't very far. I was going to suggest a muffler ( http://www.suncourt.com/SunSite/Sunweb/Muffler.html ) but they are 24" or some flexable ductwork.

If the sound is traveling via the register/ductwork then perhaps a short piece of flexible ductwork would help seperate the noice/sound_vibration but likely the sound is just going throuh the air in the center of all this.

I sure wouldn't close that vent off if you have a choice either. I have 2 in mine and a return and am just adding 6" duct fans (from place above) to boost it more.

Usually flexible ductwork with several 90s work which is what I did for the return. I wrapped duct insulation on the outside of the 6" ducts for 25' on the way in.

OK how about take the several 90s idea but on a much smaller scale. How may turns can you make the air (i.e. sound) take in that 1'? Thinks small.

- - - - - - - -

. - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - -

. - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - -

or

-- -- -- -- --

. -- -- -- --

-- -- -- -- --

. -- -- -- --

-- -- -- -- --

or

---- ---- ----

. ----- -----

---- ---- ----

. ----- -----

---- ---- ----

These would be custom vents where the top of these is your floor level and the bottom is main. The air is traveling up through all those little 90s. Does that make any sense? Hard to explain.

Hope that helps,

Scott Fauque

P.S. My edits to this after the original post add '.' before the even (2,4,..) rows above because the window you edit this text in does not suppress spaces before words (or dashes in my case) but the display of it does. HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.