AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is this dvd for calibrating a HTPC for use with a projector (NEC LT150 DLP)? I'm using the TheaterTek DVD player and Radeon VE video card with 7093 drivers. I want to upgrade to TheterTek 1.5 and Catalyst 2.3 drivers. I'm satisfied with the colors now without adjustment, but I may want to adjust the colors, brightness, etc., with the newer player and video drivers. Would the Sound & Vision dvd be adequate for basic adjustments? Is it easy to navigate? Should I justy invest in the Avia disc at more than twice the cost?

Randy D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Haven't used the sound & vision disc, but I have the AVIA disc, and I can't recommend it. How it got to be the standard, I'll never know, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. In fact I've found a number of problems with it:

1) It seems more geared to optimizing CRT displays than digital ones. I too have an LCD FP, and the AVIA disc doesn't provide enough details on configuring contrast, brightness, & sharpness for LCD displays. It does have test patterns & instructions...but they're vague and difficult to use. Not user friendly, and they leave too much margin for error--at least IMO.(Test/config routines for color and tint are pretty good, though.)

2) It doesn't support sound config of 6.1 or 7.1 channel systems.

3) Even the sound tests for 5.1 channel sound are a little iffy. During some tests, it seems to send a sub signal to the non-sub speakers, which makes it difficult to pinpoint problems and tune for phase, crossover, imaging, etc.

Anybody have one a tuning/optimization DVD you *CAN* recommend? One that supports THX Surround EX and DTS ES optimization?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Randy, you're obviously a man of few words. ;)

Is that the title of a tuning DVD? I did a quick search and couldn't find one titled "Bump". Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
65 Posts
yes,I do.I bought this hype a couple weeks ago and it was the last one on the self at Best Buy.The guy claimed that they cant keep it on the store for a day and it gets sold.It is actually the same thing like the AVIA,it is made by them(Ovation software),so I assume since I haven't test the AVIA that it has the same futures.It is mostly design for people that don't know much about A/V gear.It explains how to hook up everything,what kind of cables to use and where,etc.,so it may be more user friendly than AVIA for starters.

I play with it a few times and I don't see any improvement of my picture,in fact I liked better my own setup before I use this DVD.It may work with good results for those that haven't or been able to tune their picture by their own eyes or projector,I have a rear projection TV,so I don't know about the rest.

I think this products like other products in the industry and especially on this forum are over rated and hyped by some,that are trying to perfect everything,even thought the abilities are not there yet.

Sorry for the negative review here but thats how I see it.Another 50 bucks down the drain for nothing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
To Patrick.s

i have THX and DTS demo DVD's that both have 7.1 test signals on them.I bought them from Ebay.They are made for stores to demonstate equipment.They are OK,but in my opinion,who needs them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlufas
To Patrick.s

i have THX and DTS demo DVD's that both have 7.1 test signals on them.I bought them from Ebay.They are made for stores to demonstate equipment.They are OK,but in my opinion,who needs them?
What are the titles & manufacturers of the DVD's you found for 7.1 testing?

My problem is that sometimes my receiver doesn't seem to automatically recognize incoming Surround EX signals. I have an Onkyo DS797 on loan right now, and it has 7.1 ch THX Surround EX mode which you can set to On, Off, or Auto. When I set it to Auto and play a DVD with Surround EX, like the Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship, for some reason it doesn't recognize the incoming signal as Surround EX. It plays it in DD 5.1 unless I switch the receivers Surround EX setting to ON. The problem with this, is that the receiver will play DD 5.1 discs in Surround EX too--it has it's own internal matrix/extrapolation routine--so if I force the EX setting to ON, I'm still not sure that the incoming signal is being recognized as true Surround EX, or if the receiver is seeing it as a standard 5.1 signal and matrixing/converting it to Surround EX.

Long story, but that's why I'm seeking a DVD with 7.1 ch Surround EX tests. As is, I'm not getting consistent Surround EX, and I'm not sure if it's my source DVD, the DVD player (Sharp DV-S25U), the receiver's DSP, or what.

Still looking for the best audio/video config disc...

Randy: who makes Bump 1.1? And where'd you get it? Any other title keywords or identifiers that I could use to find it?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use the S&V disc for most of my tweaks on my RPTV...easier interface and faster than Avia or Video Essentials, which I also own.

Guy Kuo, the developer of both the S&V and Avia discs talked about the differences at the Home Theater Spot , which actually has a sub forum on "Avia vs VE"

When the new S&V disc came out, Guy Kuo talked a bit about the differences between the disc and Avia in this thread .

You'll find even more info in the forum....Bottom line, all will do a fine job, but the S&V disc is the cheapest, easiest to use option out there currently.

Here's the main overview explanation from Guy:

Quote:
Home Theater Tune Up is not intended as a replacement for AVIA. The disc is a totally new production from the ground up. The live action tutorial is completely new and redone to make things easier for those just starting with home theater. The new disc has fewer total test signals, but the ones which are present add features which are not available on AVIA. You can't really compare them that way as so much is changed between the two discs. The HTT disc focuses more on making things easier and complete for the beginner. AVIA focuses more on technically oriented users.

The audio set now includes center rear tests for DD and DTS. Phasing for speakers has been changed to make it less sensitive to seating position.

The basic video calibration screens have been redone to make the end points easier to see. For instance, the new sharpness pattern is bandwidth restricted to make oversharpness and false outlining more in line with what one sees in the frequency sweeps. The Log Steps were increased in size for easier use.

The extra video test patterns include a focus pattern and crosshatch which is twice as fine as avaialable on any other DVD. The grayscale windows are done with extra markers to allow judgement of black level while making grayscale adjustments. The windows are also titled in the pattern itself so you don't have to toggle subtitles on/off to see which window is being displayed. And yes, the windows are free of the very slight tint present in the darker AVIA windows. As space was limited on the disk, the window set isn't complete, but I included enough to fully cover the upper and lower ends of the grayscale. HTT is meant for beginners and really wasn't meant to be used by calibrators but I sneaked in additional patterns to accomplish most calibration and setup tasks. In a lot of situations I find myself pulling up the new patterns in HTT instead of AVIA because of their updated design.

For the technical tweaker, AVIA offers more tools, but the majority of people will find HTT easier to use for things which are more commonly done. HTT also adds some features which were not possible in AVIA.

Guy Kuo

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patrick.s

Randy: who makes Bump 1.1? And where'd you get it? Any other title keywords or identifiers that I could use to find it?
Since there's no *wink* smiley at the end of this I have to assume it's a legit question.

There is no disc titled "bump 1.1." Posting "bump" in a thread moves the thread back to the top of the topics list on the main forum page so more folks can see it. Randy simply "bumped" the topic once, then wrote "Bump 1.1," for his second attempt to get the thread noticed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.