AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom would like better sound than what her TV provides, and at her age I'm sure hearing is a bit of an issue, though I wouldn't call her deaf by any means. She just needs louder output than her 42" Samsung TV will put out. Let me point out key needs:

• She wants to do Netflix, her TV is not smart and doesn't have apps.
  • She has Xfinity and the small basic box for HD, currently connected via HDMI, the TV only has two HDMI inputs, using one for the cable box. I'm thinking the soundbar may also need to be the HDMI switcher in her case.
  • She would like a blu-ray player, recommend? Doesn't need to be high end at all, just play, maybe be smart...
  • Surround sound is not a concern, just more volume for her

If the soundbar or blu-ray player could has Netflix (and other apps, Hulu, Youtube, etc..) built-in, she wouldn't need a 3rd HDMI on the TV (which it doesn't have anyway) for a Roku or other streaming device. Wireless for streaming would be nice, running ethernet to this spot would be a bit tough. Her Comcast wireless router should reach this spot fairly easily, though I'll test her wireless signal strength.

So, advice needed if you have thoughts to meet her needs, thanks all :)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Something like the Samsung h5900 would fit her well for blu Ray. Does the tv have an optical out? If she only plans to use two hdmi sources, then the two on the tv with optical back to soundbar would suffice.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Does she need or want a subwoofer with the soundbar? Sound would certainly be fuller, but if all she wants it's higher volume and higher clarity, then it's not necessary. something like the vizio 4220 soundbar for $100 would fit her needs if she doesn't want a sub

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to look at the TV again, but I think it did have an optical out. I also saw a Samsung HW-H600/ZA which looked decent, and if paired with a blu-ray with wi-fi and the apps might be a good route for her. I don't think she needs subwoofer, and they tend to drown out dialogue which is her primary concern.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I need to look at the TV again, but I think it did have an optical out. I also saw a Samsung HW-H600/ZA which looked decent, and if paired with a blu-ray with wi-fi and the apps might be a good route for her. I don't think she needs subwoofer, and they tend to drown out dialogue which is her primary concern.
That soundplate has built in subs that might interfere with clarity in some material, at least according to a few bad customer reviews I read. So I'd keep that in mind. Samsung does have a number of soundbars if you want the wireless connection features (though I don't know that the tv will share then if it's not smart, so that might be moot), and I think they'd all sound better than the soundplate (they all do come paired with a sub, to my knowledge). My dad has a fairly cheap vizio like the one i posted and it does the job fine, dialog is much clearer than the tv (which is an older plasma with better speakers than today's flat panels), it lacks low end but even still, everything including music and tv sounds better and clearer on it. you could probably save some money by going with it, or you could step up to a higher end soundbar, but i would stick with soundbars over a soundplate unless space is at a premium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts