AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The living room in my new apartment is 10ft by 20ft and the TV will be facing the long wall (ie. TV's viewing distance is 10ft). I am not an audiophile so I just want a set up that sounds good, I probably can't discern the difference between amazing and great sound systems. I will be using the systems mostly for TV, Movies and Karaoke. Also, since I live in a condo, I wont be cranking up the volume all the way. I have 2 questions

1) Given that I essentially have no sidewalls, how effective are systems like the ysp1100 or CT500?

2) Given my needs, are soundbars sufficient / are 5.1s overkill?

I would like to keep the cost below 700 bucks

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'll let someone else comment on the surround effects from a soundbar...

5.1 wouldn't be overkill but it's up to you if you want to run speaker wire and place speakers to the side. Is that a problem? If so then why not just 2.0 or 2.1 with a receiver and pair of good speakers? I think music/karaoke through a pair of bookshelf or floorstanding speakers would probably sound better than with a soundbar.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by changy /forum/post/16905182

Hi,

The living room in my new apartment is 10ft by 20ft and the TV will be facing the long wall (ie. TV's viewing distance is 10ft). I am not an audiophile so I just want a set up that sounds good, I probably can't discern the difference between amazing and great sound systems. I will be using the systems mostly for TV, Movies and Karaoke. Also, since I live in a condo, I wont be cranking up the volume all the way. I have 2 questions

1) Given that I essentially have no sidewalls, how effective are systems like the ysp1100 or CT500?

2) Given my needs, are soundbars sufficient / are 5.1s overkill?

I would like to keep the cost below 700 bucks

Thanks!

Since you have no walls, stay away from the YSP,,,,, while the YSP 1100 and YSP 4000 are the very best in the soundbar world they are VERY dependent on being able to have walls to bounce sound off of.

The Sony's CT-100 and CT-500 don't depend on bouncing off walls as much as the YPS's.

By what you wrote, my suggestion would be don't get the YSP or the CT-500,, just get the CT-100.

CHeers

Davyo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.