AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all,

I have a Panny S60, a PS3, and a soundbar (Panasonic SC-HTB170). I bought that Panasonic soundbar since it was on sale at $100 and I really wasn't looking to spend very much on it. But it's not working out for me. The soundbar has an input and an output (ARC) HDMI port, while the TV is also equipped with two HDMI ports, one ARC. Whatever I do seems to have issues.

1. If I connect the PS3 to the TV and then the TV to the soundbar (using the ARC connection), it *usually* doesn't work. Often, I get no sound from the soundbar. I only get sound from the TV. I do not understand why this is - isn't that the point of ARC? To allow the TV as the central hub of the entertainment center?

2. If I connect the PS3 to the soundbar's HDMI input and then connect the soundbar to the TV with its HDMI ARC port, I get better results. However, there are a few annoying problems. Sometimes, the soundbar freezes, and refuses to pass through the input. When frozen it won't even turn off at its power buttons, and I can only unfreeze it by unplugging it. This never happens during use, only when I first turn it on at the start of use, so that's not so bad. What's worse is I don't think its HDMI connection is very good. Sometimes while playing I'm getting white static. I got my HDMI cables from mediabridge and they worked fine with a different setup, and they work fine for video without the soundbar. So I'm pretty sure it's the soundbar's fault.

3. When the situation in 2. works, the PS3 audio setup recognizes that the soundbar supports Dolby 5.1, and DTS 5.1, and linear 2.1,5.1, 7.1 PCM at 44 khz. But when the situation in 1. happens, the PS3 audio setup only recognizes support of linear 2.1. So I think inferior sound is being output. I haven't been able to tell the difference yet with my limited testing.

4. Is this soundbar no good? Is that why it was discounted from 220 to 100 from Panasonic.com?

If anyone wants to weigh in, I'm considering other audio options too, eg Sennheiser HD558 headphones, or maybe a more fully fledged speaker system (but I don't want too much stuff as I live in student accommodation).

Thanks for your help/recommendations/advice for idiots like me.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You should connect the PS3 to the soundbar as indicated in method 2. Are you using a cable box or antenna for TV? We need more information. Check to make sure the HDMI cables are in place if you are getting sparkles. Sparkles usually indicate a faulty HDMI cable or lose connection. I do not have any ideas why the soundbar is freezing on start up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I don't watch TV, so don't have cable box or antenna. All I have is the 50 inch S60 TV, the SC-HTB170 soundbar, the PS3 (super slim), and two HDMI cables (Mediabridge high speed with ethernet). I've repeatedly unplugged and replugged the HDMI cables.

I did not encounter this problem at all when I was in a different location using the same PS3, no soundbar, and a Sony LCD TV. Don't remember that model number.

I've been thinking of buying an optical digital cable. Then I would connect PS3 to TV with HDMI, and PS3 to soundbar with optical. Will that give me the same performance?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I would use the none ARC HDMI port on the TV and the soundbar. If you still have problems try the optical cable. With your setup you have no need for ARC..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The TV (S60) has two HDMI ports, one ARC, one unlabelled. When I use the unlabelled one, I get no sound. That is, when I use HDMI 1 (non-ARC) to connect from TV to soundbar and soundbar to PS3, no sound. When I use HDMI 2 (ARC), I'm in situation 2.

Right now I've tried swapping the two HDMI cables. Maybe one is slightly faulty and I'll be able to see. They're 6 feet mediabridge high speed with ethernet. Reviews seem good for them. Is anyone aware of any issues?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts