AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with some models I should be looking at. Im not finding a clear cut leader in this price range from my research and want to help my father get the best he can for the money. It will be hooked up to a 50" panasonic plasma.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am looking for something in the same ballpark, give or take. We actually bought a Sony HT-CT550 last weekend - it was the only one I was interested in locally and the price was good on it. However, it turned out to be defective and they didn't have anymore in stock, so back to the drawing board for now.

The reason we are going with a soundbar over a whole home theater system is that I don't want to commit the money necessary to do it right...for now. I want something that will improve the sound, and my wife wants whatever we do to look good, or at least, not intrusive.

The ones I am considering are:

Panasonic - SC-HTB500

Panasonic - SC-HTB520

Sony - HT-CT550

Samsung - HW-D450

Samsung - HW-D550

I like the idea of the Sony because the multiple (3 inputs) HDMI connections make setting it up very easy. It doesn't get the best reviews for sound. Having said that, almost any soundbar is going to be a marked improvement over a flat screen tv speaker set. I wish the earlier models (150 and 350) offered wireless subwoofers, because the wired ones just won't work well with my setup.

The Panasonics are nice, and you can add an IR blaster on the back of them, so you don't have to worry about them blocking your TV's IR port. However, they only have one HDMI input and one HDMI output. This means you'll have to get an optical cable to hook it up if you have more than one component. Really, this isn't a huge deal, but is something to consider. I just wish they had 2-3 HDMI inputs though. Right now I have the TV, a DVR, and a PS3. If I were to add another component, I could run into problems.

The Samsungs also look good. I believe they have 2 HDMI inputs. I wish their speakers weren't uncovered like they are though.

At this time, I am leaning towards the newer Panasonic (520), but am still looking around for more information. I'm curious what others will suggest. I really do want one that does HDMI switching, which will automatically axe some nice options (Vizio, for instance).

·
Registered
144 Posts
VIZIO VSB210WS Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer less than 300 bucks

Four 3" high-efficiency hand built mid/bass transducers

Two 3/4" high performance aluminum dome neodymium tweeters

Speaker bar frequency response: 80Hz to 20kHz

Subwoofer frequency response: 35Hz up to 80Hz

6.5" Long throw (high excursion) driver

2 Stereo RCA Input

1 S/PDIF Fiber Optic TOSLINK Input

Does not have HMDI input, but Toslink is good enough

You could use HDMI switching on the TV to switch I/O sources.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Some bar suggestions.

The new soon to be released Vizio VHT215 with wireless sub and HDMI in outs, just added to SamsClub website.

Polk 6000 or the new Polk 4000.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/20869178

Some bar suggestions.

The new soon to be released Vizio VHT215 with wireless sub and HDMI in outs, just added to SamsClub website.

Polk 6000 or the new Polk 4000.

Cheers

Davyo

I agree with davyo, the new vizio looks promising if they get it right this time.

·
Registered
LGCX65 Sonos Arc DP-UB820-K AppleTV 4K 2021
1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stw /forum/post/20866294

I am looking for something in the same ballpark, give or take. We actually bought a Sony HT-CT550 last weekend - it was the only one I was interested in locally and the price was good on it. However, it turned out to be defective and they didn't have anymore in stock, so back to the drawing board for now.

The reason we are going with a soundbar over a whole home theater system is that I don't want to commit the money necessary to do it right...for now. I want something that will improve the sound, and my wife wants whatever we do to look good, or at least, not intrusive.

The ones I am considering are:

Panasonic - SC-HTB500

Panasonic - SC-HTB520

Sony - HT-CT550

Samsung - HW-D450

Samsung - HW-D550

I like the idea of the Sony because the multiple (3 inputs) HDMI connections make setting it up very easy. It doesn't get the best reviews for sound. Having said that, almost any soundbar is going to be a marked improvement over a flat screen tv speaker set. I wish the earlier models (150 and 350) offered wireless subwoofers, because the wired ones just won't work well with my setup.

The Panasonics are nice, and you can add an IR blaster on the back of them, so you don't have to worry about them blocking your TV's IR port. However, they only have one HDMI input and one HDMI output. This means you'll have to get an optical cable to hook it up if you have more than one component. Really, this isn't a huge deal, but is something to consider. I just wish they had 2-3 HDMI inputs though. Right now I have the TV, a DVR, and a PS3. If I were to add another component, I could run into problems.

The Samsungs also look good. I believe they have 2 HDMI inputs. I wish their speakers weren't uncovered like they are though.

At this time, I am leaning towards the newer Panasonic (520), but am still looking around for more information. I'm curious what others will suggest. I really do want one that does HDMI switching, which will automatically axe some nice options (Vizio, for instance).

stw, 3In2Out: I recently purchased the HT-CT550W and I have been really impressed. I paid below retail and couldn't be happier--It's out there for low $300s. For a 2.1 sound bar with 400 Watt total power--this thing can really deliver on good quality sound to include deep S/W bass. From what I experienced it needs to be connected with a newer high speed HDMI cable to get the best sound from this unit. This thing processes most of the new multichannel sound fields like Dolby Digital/DTS, DTS HD/DolbyTruHD/Dolby Digital+ and 3D pass through.

The interesting looking wireless sub woofer is really convenient, and if you apply the right settings on the receiver the sub will deliver rather impressively.

stw: Maybe a good idea for you to see if you can give the 550W another try. Its available on most of the reputable on-line stores and I am happy to share a few tricks/settings I discovered to get optimum performance out of this system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.