AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, long-time browser, first time poster.

I have a new Samsung 58" plasma 3D set (PN58C8000) and 3D capable bluray player.

I would like to buy a soundbar setup, and I'm getting lost in research-land here. I think my ignorance about audio is hurting me here...

I have an approximately 18x18 open concept living room. There is no rear wall behind the couch. The couch is about 12 feet from the TV, and the soundbar would be resting on a console approximately 2 feet off the ground.

I thought, since I have a 3D setup, that the Sony HT-CT350 was my best bet. It also has multiple HDMI inputs, so I could route my satellite and bluray there, then run an HDMI out to the TV. But from reading here it sounds like I could run the satellite/bluray via hdmi to my tv, then run an hdmi from the tv to the soundbar. That, I think opens up most of the other soundsbars as possibilities.

Apologies for rambling. Here are my questions:

1. If I have a 3D video setup, and I'm not an audiophile, do I need a soundbar that supports 3D?

2. If I use my TV as a source switcher, can I still send HDMI to the soundbar (I don't want to use optical cables, I'd like to keep the connections via HDMI).

3. My last system (Sony DAV 2.1 virtual surround system) did, imo, a terrible job with dialogue. I'd like to get a system with a center channel or one particularly good with dialogue. Any suggestions?

4. I think it's annoying that the Sony HT-CT350 has all it's connections in the subwoofer, and that you need a line of sight to the sub for the remote. So the Sub has to be close to your TV, and you can't hide it behind anything. Why would they make a system that has what everyone wants, then do something nobody wants like that?

Thanks for you info, help and suggestions.

Tom

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Hello Tom,

I went and read the specs and some reviews on your TV. Sounds like it has an awesome picture! What I did not see was any mention of it supporting ARC (audio return channel), so you wouldn't be able to send audio to an external system via HDMI. In one review it was mentioned that the digital optical out will only send 2 ch. stereo from components connected to the TV via HDMI, so if you choose to use the TV as the HDMI switcher, you really need to also use an optical connection from your components to your external audio in order to enjoy DD5.1 and DTS.

1. You only need a soundbar that supports 3D if you're using it for video pass-through (such as connecting via HDMI to a CT-350).

2. Answered above. Your TV apparently doesn't have ARC support.

3. The current favorites among many of the posters on this forum are the JVC-BA1, the Vizio 510, Sony CT-350/150. You may want to look at the dedicated threads for those to get a better idea of the pros and cons.

4. True, the Sony CT-xxx models do limit placement of the sub. A lot of people find that to be a non-starter for them. I have a CT-350 and for my setup it isn't a problem. BTW, it has great center channel dialogue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl /forum/post/19535140

Hello Tom,

I went and read the specs and some reviews on your TV. Sounds like it has an awesome picture! What I did not see was any mention of it supporting ARC (audio return channel), so you wouldn't be able to send audio to an external system via HDMI. In one review it was mentioned that the digital optical out will only send 2 ch. stereo from components connected to the TV via HDMI, so if you choose to use the TV as the HDMI switcher, you really need to also use an optical connection from your components to your external audio in order to enjoy DD5.1 and DTS.

1. You only need a soundbar that supports 3D if you're using it for video pass-through (such as connecting via HDMI to a CT-350).

2. Answered above. Your TV apparently doesn't have ARC support.

3. The current favorites among many of the posters on this forum are the JVC-BA1, the Vizio 510, Sony CT-350/150. You may want to look at the dedicated threads for those to get a better idea of the pros and cons.

4. True, the Sony CT-xxx models do limit placement of the sub. A lot of people find that to be a non-starter for them. I have a CT-350 and for my setup it isn't a problem. BTW, it has great center channel dialogue.

Thanks! Looks like the Sony 350 might be my best bet then. If I can't use the TV as a HDMI switcher, and I don't want to use optical cables, then it looks like it's my only choice!

If any has a different suggestion I'm all ears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts