AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a Samsung C6500 BluRay and decided it might be nice to upgrade the sound at the same time. I started out looking at soundbars. I went to Best Buy and listned to the Sony CT350's and the Samsung soundbar and was not overly impressed.

I just noticed that Best Buy has the Denon AVR391 for $199 with a $50 gift card so I started thinking this might be a better alternative. I am not looking for the ultimate surround system. As a matter of fact I may never hook the back speakers up. I do want good quality sound and I think I could get better sound going with a receiver, decent speakers and a subwoofer. Plus I'd like to listen to music on the system too.

I do have a couple of questions.

- Initially I would want to set the system up with a subwoofer and three speakers (L,R,Center). Can I do this with this receiver?

- Would the sound be an improvement over a soundbar. I was considering the Sony CT350 or the JVC BA-TH1. I have read allot of the soundbar discussions here and like the HDMI's on the Sony but it sounds like the JVC has a little better sound quality.

- I have a set of pretty good Boston Acoustic A40V bookshelf speakers (made in USA!). They are about 25 years old but they are very nice speakers. I'd like to use them with this setup. By using these speakers I would only have to buy a subwoofer and a center speaker and could get into a surround system for about the same price as a soundbar.

- Do I scarp the Boston Acoustics and buy some newer speakers?

- What center speaker and subwoofer would compliment this system?

- Do I stick with my original plan and go with a soundbar?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
Quote:
- Initially I would want to set the system up with a subwoofer and three speakers (L,R,Center). Can I do this with this receiver?
Yes. The receiver's speaker set-up menu should let you set the surrounds to "off" and it should then down-mix 5.1 audio to 3.1

Quote:
- Would the sound be an improvement over a soundbar.
Depends on the speakers you're using vs. the soundbar in question. In either case, a sub is pretty much a must-have for HT audio.

Quote:
- Do I scarp the Boston Acoustics and buy some newer speakers?
The only reason not to use the BA speakers is compatibility with a newer center channel speaker. Ideally, you want to "timbre match" the audio across the front sound-field, which usually means getting mains and a center from the same make and model line. You could try running your system in 2.1 (w/ a "phantom" center) while you look for a speaker that is sonically similar to your BA mains, or you could just set the BAs aside for surround use and get three new speakers for the front.

Quote:
- What center speaker and subwoofer would compliment this system?
Re. center speaker, please see above.
Re. subwoofer, it depends on the size of your room and what kind of performance you're looking to get out of a sub. (And, of course, your budget.) If you have a small to mid-size room, a 10"-12" sub w/ around 300W RMS will most often do the trick. Larger than that, and you may want to go with a more powerful 12" sub, dual 12" subs, a 15" sub, etc. (This is a very general observation. YMMV.)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about the following:

Denon AVR391 - Best Buy - $199:

JBL SCS145.5 - Best Buy - $189.99 less $50 dollars from the gift card from the purchase of the receiver/

Total: $340.

or

Energy RC-Micro 5.1 - 399.99.

Total $600

or a Soundbar for $300-350.

Again not expecting mind blowing sound but is it worth spending the extra money. I am leaning toward the Denon and JBL speakers just because I really don't want to spend the extar money since I am also in the market for a new 46" HDTV.

One other question. I have a 25 year old ADS equalizer. Is it possible to incorporate this into whatever I buy and would it be worthwhile?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Compact
How about the following:

JBL SCS145.5 - Best Buy - $189.99 less $50 dollars from the gift card from the purchase of the receiver/

Total: $340.

or

Energy RC-Micro 5.1 - 399.99.

Total $600

or a Soundbar for $300-350.
FWIW, the next higher Denon has some automatic EQ stuff ("Audyssey") that should help with Timbre matching. See the "Official" thread for the 391 and 591 details.

I doubt it's the RC-Micro's for $399. It's probably the "Take Classic" set.

Also, if you like BA, there's a package of the 591 and 5.1 BA speakers on Amazon. I imagine it's sold elsewhere as well. There are some 391 packages too, but I'm not sure about the brand of the speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts