AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Could someone please suggest which one will better options? My theater room size 5 meters * 3 meters and screen size 120 inch.

Soundbar
Samsung HW-Q90R 7.1.4 or Samsung HW-Q950T 9.1.4 (releasing the end of July)

Home Theather
I'm thinking of 5.1.2 Dobly Atmos setup.

AV Receiver: Denon AVR-S940H OR Denon AVR-S750H
Speaker: Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Package Plus 2 Dobly Atmos Enabled speaker OR Any suggestion?

I can't install overhead Atmos speaker so my option is only Atmos Enabled speaker.

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
For best flexibility and sounds reproduction a component system wins in almost all cases.....

Now its possible to put components together that sound worse than a soundbar, a andrew jones center would be a good start to that.

Focus on the sub and the center........as the main bang for buck components as they will make a bigger difference than the other speakers.

You do not have to buy packaged speaker systems, although they can offer a cheap place to start, usually the center channel and sub are the first to get replaced, especially that andrew jones center....people seem to not like that center at all......

I would not consider a sound bar in a room that size with a 120 inch screen..........sound bars sell and some people are perfectly happy with them,....a sound bar might be the answer to your dreams or a horrible choice.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a suggestion.
I was comparing the budget home theatre system vs high-end soundbars with atmos speakers.
I have read some good reviews about the atmos soundbars but I haven't experienced atmos soundbar myself so can't say how it would be....

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hi

Could someone please suggest which one will better options? My theater room size 5 meters * 3 meters and screen size 120 inch.

Soundbar
Samsung HW-Q90R 7.1.4 or Samsung HW-Q950T 9.1.4 (releasing the end of July)

Home Theather
I'm thinking of 5.1.2 Dobly Atmos setup.

AV Receiver: Denon AVR-S940H OR Denon AVR-S750H
Speaker: Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Package Plus 2 Dobly Atmos Enabled speaker OR Any suggestion?

I can't install overhead Atmos speaker so my option is only Atmos Enabled speaker.

Regards
I can't help you except to say there just are not many comments on AVS on pseudo surround technology vs actual speaker placement. There is a plenitude of opinions on proper placement of speakers, as well as science on such, verses people trying to cheat the facts of placement (all ceiling, all in wall, etc).
Audio engineers have down some amazing stuff with virtual surround of 2 channel signals.

But We need more witness testimony as to if they've done the same thing or at least made progress with projected multi channel sound all from one box in the front. Now they have introduced even atmos included with the soundbar. But I haven't seen anyone but the sponsors saying, "Yeah, it really works."
The auditory senses in our brain can be tricked, we know this, but the question is; For how long? Passing critical listening skills one develops with this hobby?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks for a suggestion.
I was comparing the budget home theatre system vs high-end soundbars with atmos speakers.
I have read some good reviews about the atmos soundbars but I haven't experienced atmos soundbar myself so can't say how it would be....
I would be interested in the reviews if they actually compared the two.
As opposed to a review coming from someone that only has the experience of TV speakers to compare them to. Anything would sound good compared to those!

I am hoping to score a soundbar one day at an estate sale, or cheaper, to compare to my true surround system.
I could see a soundbar's practicality in other rooms.

·
Registered
747 Posts
This comparison/analysis may help:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/soundbar-vs-surround-sound-system/

I can only add that there have been quite a few comparisons that indicate that while Atmos bounce speakers do something, the effect is far behind ceiling mounted speakers.

A number of users seem satisfied with using elevation speakers, or bounce modules placed on-wall as elevation speakers.

Thanks for a suggestion.
I would be interested in the reviews if they actually compared the two.
As opposed to a review coming from someone that only has the experience of TV speakers to compare them to. Anything would sound good compared to those!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This comparison/analysis may help:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/soundbar-vs-surround-sound-system/

I can only add that there have been quite a few comparisons that indicate that while Atmos bounce speakers do something, the effect is far behind ceiling mounted speakers.

A number of users seem satisfied with using elevation speakers, or bounce modules placed on-wall as elevation speakers.
Interesting article. The section on why many people would still choose a bar because installation of a true better system was too complicated (!) took my mind right to the early 80's. When most of us here were time shifting TV programs (and never watching another commercial) on our HiFi VCR, most people were stilll staring at the flashing 12:00!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For best flexibility and sounds reproduction a component system wins in almost all cases.....

Now its possible to put components together that sound worse than a soundbar, a andrew jones center would be a good start to that.

Focus on the sub and the center........
Could you please recommend any center channel speaker?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be interested in the reviews if they actually compared the two..
I'm also interested to see or read the actual comparison between the budget theater system & soundbars... But the price point should be also considered...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sharing this article.

Maybe, I will go with elevation speakers. But what's bounce modules?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Bounce modules are the upward firing Atmos speakers that sit on top of front speakers that are intended to bounce the sound off the ceiling to give an "overhead" experience.
While they do "something" it's generally recognized that it's not a convincing overhead sound (to be nice).
If you flip them around, the can mount pretty neatly on a wall as an elevation speaker, or on a ceiling as an overheard Atmos speaker, though that wasn't the original intent.

Maybe, I will go with elevation speakers. But what's bounce modules?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did anyone test Yamaha NS-F51 5.1 for home theater? It's cheaper than Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 :)
It contains
  1. Yamaha NS-F51 Fronts-2
  2. Yamaha NS-P51 Centre-1
  3. Yamaha NS-P51 Surrounds -2
  4. Yamaha NS-SW100 Subwoofer:-1

·
Registered
747 Posts
I can't say that I've seen that set reviewed. The towers look OK, but the center seems not be well match to them.
What country are you in? Those Yamahas don't seem to be readily available in the US.

Did anyone test Yamaha NS-F51 5.1 for home theater? It's cheaper than Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 :)

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Could you please recommend any center channel speaker?
I have no idea your room constraints, size that will fit or what mains you will be using or whats available to you.....BIC fh-6 LCR.......they are loud and clear for a center without being giant sized, its still large.

I'm also interested to see or read the actual comparison between the budget theater system & soundbars... But the price point should be also considered...

Looks like that q90 sound bar is like 1100 bucks......thats about what I have in my system. Mine is designed for movie use to give that theater effect, you might not want or be able to do that due to volume constraints.

Prices will vary, but I have 3 BIC ev-15`s, 3 way large floor standers with 15 inch woofers that will likely do more than any sound bar sub.

4 bic FH-6 MTM`s speakers each one has dual 6.5 inch drivers and a horn loaded tweeter.......a pioneer vsx-lx-301 receiver.

I paid 150 each for the floor standers, 100 each for the others and like 350 for the reciever......so maybe 1200 , a 100 bucks more than the sound bar mentioned.

I have heard a lot of sound bars and a couple might sound a tad bit better at very low volumes with critical listening to music if thats what you want,.....but no where the power or volume levels for movies. The front 3 ways will violently shake the doors in the room when ran as full range, much more than many of the cheap 10 inch subs that come with packaged system .

Thats running them powered from the receiver, each one is rated at 225 watts RMS......if I were to power them like that, they would only get louder.

I did build a couple DIY subs to add to the system........but those could never be used in most applications as neighbors would certainly complain, as would the wife ......they have literally backed out nails in the drywall walls.

I am sure you could put together a more usable sane solution for that price or cheaper. and use the extra for a normal sub.......

If you are not in to big movie sound or critically listening to music, plenty of people are happy with sound bars and at moderate listening levels do sound good.

My suggestion without knowing more would be to get a receiver and 3 front speakers, which will probably have to be purchased as 2 pairs......see what you think and then either get more or use those for surrounds and try different ones.

Monoprice makes some budget stuff to get your foot in the door speaker wise...........you might be a buy once never change person, or this might be the first of hundreds of speakers you buy.

Start of with the 50 buck a pair monoprice speakers and see what that does for you......until you listen for yourself in your house there is no way to know if they will work or you need more...those might be all you need or you might end up with 1500 buck a piece towers over time.

With most soundbars it is a one and done many times making it very hard to change speakers subs or impossible and you are just stuck with how it is.......with a receiver and speakers you can change anything to almost everything.

It sounds to me like you are just starting, my recommendation is start with components, not a sound bar.......grab a receiver and a pair of speakers and start seeing what you like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My suggestion without knowing more would be to get a receiver and 3 front speakers, which will probably have to be purchased as 2 pairs......see what you think and then either get more or use those for surrounds and try different ones.
Now I think of buying a decent av receiver and used speakers sets. Later I can upgrade the speakers.

·
Registered
747 Posts
What are some sites to use for Australia pricing besides Amazon and Ebay?
We'd need to see what's available.
Would you be open to using elevation speakers at the top of your front wall instead of in-ceiling for Atmos?
The Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker system was effectively 5.1.2. Is that what you're looking for in a non-soundbar setup?

From Australia.
Now I think of buying a decent av receiver and used speakers sets. Later I can upgrade the speakers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are some sites to use for Australia pricing besides Amazon and Ebay?
There are several small/medium size electronic retailers. like JBhifi, Digitalcinema, Kogan etc...

Would you be open to using elevation speakers at the top of your front wall instead of in-ceiling for Atmos?
The Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker system was effectively 5.1.2. Is that what you're looking for in a non-soundbar setup?
I can't do in-ceiling for Atmos because I need to tear the ceiling to do the wiring. I was thinking Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker 5.1 plus 2 atmos but I found out that the center channel is not that good. So, I'm also exploring other options like KEF T301 as sides and KEF T301c for the center channel.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The AJ center is considered bad, but if the price for the set is good, get the set and just replace the center with another brand/model.
As long as the replacement is not wildly different from the L/R speaker in terms of sensitivity and frequency response, it shouldn't matter.
You'll have to decide on whether the aesthetics of a different looking speaker matters to you.

I was thinking Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker 5.1 plus 2 atmos but I found out that the center channel is not that good.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I can't do in-ceiling for Atmos because I need to tear the ceiling to do the wiring.
I wish folks here would just respond to what u asked and not go into a tangent debating ceiling-mount vs virtual.

Looks like u can't do all at once and thinking of upgrading little by little and for that definitely a HT (AVR) allows maximum flexibility, just get an AVR with the channels you require, say next 5 years. Soundbars you buy everything at once and no changing, no upgrading, fixed in place, can't add, can't change.

Sorry I have no buying suggestion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts