AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying an Optoma HD20, this will be my first projector ever. I am college student, so I am doing this setup cheaply, will build it over time as I get more money. But to start with I am trying to make it very simple/affordable. The source of my video will be almost entirely my XBOX 360 through HDMI (would use to watch Netflix, play games, watch movies streaming over network or off a USB hard drive) and I will run the sound through the optical out. Occasionally I will watch sports through over the air broadcast with an ATSC HD Tuner.

But I was wondering if a sound bar hooked up to my xbox with an optical audio cable would work alright in a living room connected to a kitchen? The Room is L shaped, about 18-20x14, with the kitchen then opening up at the bottom, which is around 5x10. One of the walls is also not straight in the living room, but at a 45 degree angle. I would have the projector at a 13-14 foot throw in the living room going the short way and would mount the soundbar at the bottom. I have heard awkwardly shaped rooms can result in poor results.

I am used to integrated TV speakers and have never had the privilege of a high quality sound system. So I am assuming even a cheap $100-150 sound bar would sound like a major upgrade to me, what I am wondering is if I would be better off with a similarly priced set stereo speakers instead due to the nature of my setup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker /forum/post/19572602

I am planning on buying an Optoma HD20, this will be my first projector ever. I am college student, so I am doing this setup cheaply, will build it over time as I get more money. But to start with I am trying to make it very simple/affordable. The source of my video will be almost entirely my XBOX 360 through HDMI (would use to watch Netflix, play games, watch movies streaming over network or off a USB hard drive) and I will run the sound through the optical out. Occasionally I will watch sports through over the air broadcast with an ATSC HD Tuner.

But I was wondering if a sound bar hooked up to my xbox with an optical audio cable would work alright in a living room connected to a kitchen? The Room is L shaped, about 18-20x14, with the kitchen then opening up at the bottom, which is around 5x10. One of the walls is also not straight in the living room, but at a 45 degree angle. I would have the projector at a 13-14 foot throw in the living room going the short way and would mount the soundbar at the bottom. I have heard awkwardly shaped rooms can result in poor results.

I am used to integrated TV speakers and have never had the privilege of a high quality sound system. So I am assuming even a cheap $100-150 sound bar would sound like a major upgrade to me, what I am wondering is if I would be better off with a similarly priced set stereo speakers instead due to the nature of my setup.

Thanks!

A soundbar will work fine with a projector,,, been there, done it.

Odd shaped rooms will not kill a soundbar, it just "might" not perform as well as it would in a perfectly shaped room.

With a projector your going to need the HDMI inputs and out,,, the best soundbar to use with your set-up and has the HDMI's you will need would be the Sony CT-150,,,, its inexpensive and its a great sounding soundbar as well.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Davyo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts