AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidently posted this in HT in a box" thread .

Doh!

Guess that's why I didn't get any responses.

Here is re-post:

--------------------------------------------

I am looking for a new soundcard.

Someone at Emotiva forum ( link ) suggested this:

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2
Link

Potential purchase site: link

Prodigy HD2 shows the latest technology in high end audio playback for audiophile users.

Prodigy HD2 supports 192 kHz at 24-bit with a sensational dynamic range of 120dB(a) for playback - no other hardware in this price range provides this high level of output quality. Even better: the hardware is equipped with 3 OpAmps on sockets, this makes it possible to swap and exchange the OpAmps based on specific requirements.

Prodigy HD2 is a Low Profile PCI card, shipping with a metal bracket for a conventional PCI slot and with a bracket that allows the installation in Low Profile slots - this makes Prodigy HD2 perfect for media center and home theater solutions where small PC cases are used.

The included driver software is providing perfect compatibility (ASIO, GSIF, WDM) under all current Windows versions including Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit, offering high performance and low latency operation. DirectWIRE 3.0 support in the driver allows you to virtually patch your digital audio sources internally between different software applications running at the same time.

Features
  • PCI audio interface based on VIA VT1721 (Envy24HT-S)
  • PCI card supplied with standard and low profile metal bracket
  • 24 bit / 192kHz playback (analog & digital)
  • 24 bit / 96kHz recording
  • high quality AKM AK4396 120dB(a) S/N ratio DA converter for extremly high quality 2 channel audio playback via RCA output connectors (5Hz - 40kHz frequency response)
  • triple OpAmp design for audio output with three high quality Fairchild NE5532 OpAmps on separate sockets (can be exchanged for tuning & customization)
  • headphone output with 1/8" connector routed via JRC4580 dual OpAmp
  • analog line input with 1/8" connector via AKM AK5353/7 102dB(a) S/N ratio AD converter (20Hz - 40kHz frequency response)
  • optical S/PDIF digital output following IEC-958C standard, can be used for stereo audio playback (PCM) and multichannel streams from such sources (AC-3 or DTS data)
  • EWDM driver based on ESI technology for all current Windows Versions

---------------
Computer (desktop, home)

- Cyberpower

- CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz

- Audio: Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Fatal1Ty(not working ??? -- having intermittent problems with output. Unclear of problem exactly)

- Video: ATI Radeon HD 4870

- Monitor: Del 2408WFP

- Memory: 6 GB

Use:

1) ?? headphone output to monitor speakers

2) RCA output to Russound house sound amps

(I don't need 5.1, 7.1, etc. output)

Any comments on this soundcard?

Will both sets of outputs (headphone, RCA) work at the same time?

Thanks.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...or any other Soundcard recs for my specific situation?

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Email to CS:

[email protected]

Here are our contact details:
AUDIOTRAK

c/o ESI Audiotechnik GmbH
Brennerstrasse 48
D-71229 Leonberg
Germany

Phone: +49 (0)7152 / 398880
Fax: +49 (0)7152 / 398887

----------------------------

I am interested in the
Prodigy HD2
http://www.audiotrak.net/products/prodigyhd2/

My question is are the RCA outputs and headphone output ACTIVE at the same time?

I want to run the RCA outputs to my Russound whole house music system and the headphone out to my Dell monitor.

Thank you.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever /forum/post/17039190

I'd say a Xonar Essencse STX would be better, but it's also $60 more.

Thank you.

ASUS Xonar Essence STX

I'm looking up some info on it now including a review - here .

What do you think makes it better for my situation.

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From an Amazon review of the Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card - link - this was noted:

"Cons: You can't have the RCA connection and the headphone connection active at the same time."

I don't know if any soundcard will do that. Kind of a bummer.

I did like the info on the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Better Opamps (NJM2114D vs. NE5532) and S/N ratio (124 vs. 120) than the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2.

Higher price ($181 at Amazon vs. $89).

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/17032958

I accidently posted this in HT in a box" thread .

Doh!

Guess that's why I didn't get any responses.

Here is re-post:

--------------------------------------------

I am looking for a new soundcard.

Someone at Emotiva forum ( link ) suggested this:

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2
Link

Potential purchase site: link

Prodigy HD2 shows the latest technology in high end audio playback for audiophile users.

Prodigy HD2 supports 192 kHz at 24-bit with a sensational dynamic range of 120dB(a) for playback - no other hardware in this price range provides this high level of output quality. Even better: the hardware is equipped with 3 OpAmps on sockets, this makes it possible to swap and exchange the OpAmps based on specific requirements.

Prodigy HD2 is a Low Profile PCI card, shipping with a metal bracket for a conventional PCI slot and with a bracket that allows the installation in Low Profile slots - this makes Prodigy HD2 perfect for media center and home theater solutions where small PC cases are used.

The included driver software is providing perfect compatibility (ASIO, GSIF, WDM) under all current Windows versions including Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit, offering high performance and low latency operation. DirectWIRE 3.0 support in the driver allows you to virtually patch your digital audio sources internally between different software applications running at the same time.

Features
  • PCI audio interface based on VIA VT1721 (Envy24HT-S)
  • PCI card supplied with standard and low profile metal bracket
  • 24 bit / 192kHz playback (analog & digital)
  • 24 bit / 96kHz recording
  • high quality AKM AK4396 120dB(a) S/N ratio DA converter for extremly high quality 2 channel audio playback via RCA output connectors (5Hz - 40kHz frequency response)
  • triple OpAmp design for audio output with three high quality Fairchild NE5532 OpAmps on separate sockets (can be exchanged for tuning & customization)
  • headphone output with 1/8" connector routed via JRC4580 dual OpAmp
  • analog line input with 1/8" connector via AKM AK5353/7 102dB(a) S/N ratio AD converter (20Hz - 40kHz frequency response)
  • optical S/PDIF digital output following IEC-958C standard, can be used for stereo audio playback (PCM) and multichannel streams from such sources (AC-3 or DTS data)
  • EWDM driver based on ESI technology for all current Windows Versions

---------------
Computer (desktop, home)

- Cyberpower

- CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz

- Audio: Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Fatal1Ty(not working ??? -- having intermittent problems with output. Unclear of problem exactly)

- Video: ATI Radeon HD 4870

- Monitor: Del 2408WFP

- Memory: 6 GB

Use:

1) ?? headphone output to monitor speakers

2) RCA output to Russound house sound amps

(I don't need 5.1, 7.1, etc. output)

Any comments on this soundcard?

Will both sets of outputs (headphone, RCA) work at the same time?

Thanks.

Mike

Per jlafrenz at Emotiva forum - link :

"I was able to test out the sound card just now and I have some great news for you! I was able to get it to output from two different connections and to 2 different systems at the same time. I was able to achieve this with optical and RCA as well as the combination of RCA and headphone jack. Looks like this card is going to solve your problems. "

That sounds like it would work, but now I'm wondering how much I need a soundcard if I can hook up a Squeezebox, eg:

- Squeezebox Duet or

- Squeezebox Touch

--- other Touch links -- Slashgear , Gizmodo , AVForums

DABDig (specs and more pics):

Page includes FCC report and specs:

4.3 LCD panel with capacitive touch screen

High quality analog and headphone outputs (24bit/96k)

Optical and coax S/PDIF outputs

802.11g wireless

64MB SDRAM & 64MB NAND flash

SD card slot & USB host connector

Internal speech-grade microphone and speaker - sound effects and preview

IR sensor for remote control

Ambient light sensor for dimming screen at night

IR proximity sensor for detecting user approaching

Digital temperature sensor for home automation

Audiocircle (specs and pics)

Technical Specifications

o Audio formats:

-MP3, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, Apple Lossless

-WMA Lossless, APE, MPC and WavPack supported through transcoding

-Some formats may require additional software installation

o Internet radio

-Support for MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and WMA formatted Internet Radio streams

o Wireless interface

-True 802.11g wireless networking

-Support for 802.11b and 802.11g routers and access points

-One-touch setup (with compatible WPS-supporting routers)

-Supports WPA Personal, WPA-2AES, and 64/128-bit WEP encryption

o Ethernet interface

-Connects to any 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps network (with Auto MDX)

o General:

-USB host connector for accessing music and photos via USB drive or USB key

-SD card slot for music and photos

-Supports sampling rates up to 24 bit / 96 kHz

-Stereo analog (RCA), headphone jack, digital optical, and digital coax output

-4.3-inch 24-bit color LCD with capacitive touch screen

-Ambient light sensor to adjust display brightness according to environment

-Infrared proximity sensor to detect presence

...to my whole house system and use my comptuer files (currently MP3s, but maybe I'll have to change to a better format) and have remote access around the house.

Thoughts?

Maybe I'll just get the Prodigy HD2 as an interim solution and at least have a sound card.

Mike

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well, it really depends on what your're going for. What kinds of speakers do you have? What are you using for amplification? Do you use headphones?, etc.

From what I've gathered, it's not a 'critical' listening / high end sound you are looking (just based on the fact that you want mp3's (vs. flac)) for. So considering those factors, save the $100. I'm pretty sure you can find the STX cheaper elsewhere. However, another option to consider is the Xonar Essence ST. It's basically the STX but with improved jitter, and has an add-on section for 7.1 (upgrade path?) It's only available in Europe atm, however.

Anyway, the card you posted will produce more than good enough sound for your setup.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever /forum/post/17065243

Well, it really depends on what your're going for. What kinds of speakers do you have? What are you using for amplification? Do you use headphones?, etc.

From what I've gathered, it's not a 'critical' listening / high end sound you are looking (just based on the fact that you want mp3's (vs. flac)) for. So considering those factors, save the $100. I'm pretty sure you can find the STX cheaper elsewhere. However, another option to consider is the Xonar Essence ST. It's basically the STX but with improved jitter, and has an add-on section for 7.1 (upgrade path?) It's only available in Europe atm, however.

Anyway, the card you posted will produce more than good enough sound for your setup.

Thanks.

This is for a connection to a Russound (CAM6.6 amp) whole house system for background music. The speakers are all over the house and garage/deck, but are Russound and not really high end.

I don't mind spending more money, but the convenience of both active RCA outs (for Russound system) and headphone out (for computer monitor speakers).

No headphones.

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/17040092

From an Amazon review of the Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card - link - this was noted:

"Cons: You can't have the RCA connection and the headphone connection active at the same time."

I don't know if any soundcard will do that. Kind of a bummer.

I did like the info on the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Better Opamps (NJM2114D vs. NE5532) and S/N ratio (124 vs. 120) than the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2.

Higher price ($181 at Amazon vs. $89).

Mike
Audiotrak - Prodigy HD2 soundcard installed and back to both desktop monitor audio and Russound whole house audio.

So, I can confirm that both RCA and headphone outputs are active at the same time.

Nice!

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.