AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just purchased a new TV and am upgrading my HTPC to be fast enough for the latest games and for HD playback.

I am not sure about soundcards however, I have an Audigy 2 at the moment and I am using the kx drivers which make it usable. I know it does some bad 44.1khz to 48khz resampling though. I think I have been turned away from creative with they lack of care for drivers after a few months.

Can anyone suggest a very good quality soundcard to match the new PC I am building, preferably one that has a simple option to mirror stereo sources to the back channels. I don't like any of this fancy Prologic II and CMSS stuff I see with some soundcards.

I will be using reclock to keep my frames in sync with the screen and may use the soundcard for resampling if its any good, instead of doing it in software.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You might need to clarify your actual intended usage. You specified games and HD playback. Very few cards can do HD audio. And only two can handle games and HD audio - the Asus HDAV and the Auzentech HDTheatre (I think that is the name, it is about to come out). These are both $200 PCIe cards that can essentially do anything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney /forum/post/15503739

You might need to clarify your actual intended usage. You specified games and HD playback. Very few cards can do HD audio. And only two can handle games and HD audio - the Asus HDAV and the Auzentech HDTheatre (I think that is the name, it is about to come out). These are both $200 PCIe cards that can essentially do anything.

Wow they sound like excellent cards... I need 5.1 analog out, I will do all my decoding on the PC using ffdshow. I do play alot of games also but want to stay away from creative preferably. Do these expensive cards have all of the EAX jazz? Good quality 5.1 is most important to me anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts