AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any answer.

Cant figure out if I should be using the SPDIF outputs or try and go straight HDMI from my video card.

I have an AVR powering my 7.1 surround theater setup at home. I'm looking to eventually get both of the following:

HT | OMEGA Claro Halo XT Soundcard

EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 Fermi

My questions are

1: Will these two conflict horribly sound driver wise?

2: How about for surround sound in games such as half-life 2.

3: Is it better to go with the SPDIF Out of the sound card to my AVR or the HDMI from the video card to my AVR?

4: Do you have to be using the TV as the monitor if I'm using the HDMI for the audio?

Very confusing. I'd like 5.1 and 7.1 support.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Don't personally know the answer to most of your questions, but HDMI would be preferable to SPDIF for movie audio. SPDIF is an old, outdated standard that can only support multichannel by taking a lossy stream and wrapping it in 2-channel PCM headers.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
HDMI allows better quality surround sound compared to SPDIF. However, you will not just "magically" get a better sound by hooking up via HDMI. You need to be playing source material which contains higher quality sound. So, it really might not matter if the media and games you are playing do not support HD audio formats.

Now, despite the above, you are indicating the purchase of both a sound card and a video card. So, skip the sound card and just get the video card and use HDMI for audio. This will save you the cost of the sound card and also make your system more future proof if or when you do get some media with HD audio formats.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts