AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Currently I ran a set of regular audio cables (white/red) from my receiver to my projector/dvd that is over 30ft . Projector and dvd player sit on the other side of the room.

What I want to do is replace my standalone dvd player with a htpc computer to play dvd movies form the hard drive. Not looking to put TV or pvr on it.

To do this I guess I need to either run a 30-50ft spdif cable from my diamond xtreme sound 7.1 soundcard to my pioneer 516 reciver.

Or I maybe able to put the computer near the receiver and run a 75ft monitor cable from the computer to the projector. I have one I bought a while back for something I was goofing around with.

So not sure which way would be best in the long run and which would have less degragation.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Always go with the shortest video cable hook up to your projector because it's more expensive and more chance of interference with long video cabling. The SPDIF cable can be 50 feet if it's coaxial--just use a good shielded RCA type cable and you're set (preferably RG6 with RCA adapters at both ends). Optical SPDIF cable may not work well at 50 feet without installing a repeater or booster (variable depending on quality of the optical cable and how many bends to the cable).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.