AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK the Audiophile 24/96 has been out for ages, the Audigy aint much more than a overclocked Live!, each has its own issues be it game sound or odd-spec digital outputs. Most of the cards have good sound quality, but compared to even cheaper component gear, still isnt up to scratch. So whats the future for us all, and when the hell is it gonna get here?? :)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Are you looking for something specific, or just trying to complain?

You left out the Delta 410/1010, the Hercules GTXP (which got new drivers turning it into 6.1 with DPLII-esque virutalization), the Nvidida nForce (DD5.1 encoder) and the Zoltrix Nightengale Pro 6 which does everything an Audigy will do better for half the price.

·
Registered
656 Posts
But do any of them give a digital out bit steam that sounds as good as a standalone DVD players digital out gives??? I want my HTPC to have as good of sound as it does video with the Radeon!!!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
How about a sound card with six 24/192 DACs with MLP decoding? If they build it, I will buy it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well the Lynx TWO is a 32/200 card, and the "B" model has six 24-bit balanced analog outputs and a SPDIF digital out, but it's really expensive. I'm willing to bet its digital out is on par with (at least) several standalone DVD players' digital outs.

But why are you looking for a new soundcard anyway? It's still impossible to play SACD or DVD-A on the PC yet, so a soundcard that can handle the 24/96 or 24/192 rates is useless to the HTPCer. If you're happy with the sound of your soundcard, stick with it. If not, buy one that has better sound and is already available.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you'd bother to look, you'd see the Audiophile 24/96 uses the same clock generators that are on several thousand $$$ top of the line equipment. The sound is all for intents and purposes, indistinguishable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Knight
But do any of them give a digital out bit steam that sounds as good as a standalone DVD players digital out gives??? I want my HTPC to have as good of sound as it does video with the Radeon!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
So how many here use the M-Audio, Audiophile 24/96 ???? Does it really sound as good as stand alone DVD players? Is $179 the best price for one?

·
Registered
474 Posts
My Delta 410 sounds much better via its coax outs to my Onkyo receiver than my Tosh 5109 did. This may be a placebo effect but my wife has also noticed the improvement without my prompting her.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Via, which makes the ENVY24 chipset on most of these cards, will be showcasing a new ENVY24-HT chipset/card at the Computex show which starts next week. Looks like we might finally see some actual consumer cards with 5.1/7.1 channel and 96/24 bit capability soon. I would expect them to fall somewhere between the Zoltrix cards and the Creative Labs cards in price. Who knows how they will actually sound though.

NickB

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yo Namlemez, LIGHTEN UP!

"Are you looking for something specific, or just trying to complain? "

"If you'd bother to look,..."

we are just chatting here!!

:) peace

·
Registered
830 Posts
Others say that their DVD players coax out sounds better than the AP 24/96 and the Delta 410.

I can't tell on my 410.

T.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question, if all you want is the ability to spit the highest quality signal to your home theatre receiver. and maybe record a bit of line-in audio occassionally, is the 410 over the top? Or does the sound quality justify the price even if you are not using the multitude of in's and outs?

Do you guys send mp3's to your receiver via analogue or digital?

·
Registered
474 Posts
dakyman:

I thought the $20 premium for the 410 over the AP2496 was worth it even if I wasn't going to use all of the features right away. It is nice to know that I could eventually, given the right software, output an EX/ES signal directly into some amps from my 410.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would like to see some other real time DD or DTS encoders for HTPC gaming.... (other than the nforce chipset)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I think I am of the oppinion that if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you are doing things digitally all you are doign is passing the bits to your reciever and having it take care of the signal. The way I see it you shouldn't have to change your soundcard as much as you would your reciever.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fair Call.

Well I am passing digital signal via coax to my Onkyo 989 receiver using an old SBLive Value and an add-on hoontech card (just the basic bracket that gives various digital I/O).

Sounds pretty good, Id have to question whether any of the other cards around at the moment would offer much better performance?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Id have to question whether any of the other cards around at the moment would offer much better performance?â€

There is no longer a question to the people that have compared other cards to the SB Live.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.