Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've read as many threads as I can find on soundproofing doors but I still can't find an answer to a problem I have. I would like to have two 36" doors between my theater and a living/playing room area in my basement. By opening up these doors I get a nice extended general entertainment area with a high WAF (and I need every WAF point I can get at this point). :rolleyes:

I have largely ruled out pocket doors due to other posts that suggest they rattle too much. This leaves either two solid core french-type doors or a double external door. The external doors are expensive and reduce the WAF substantially.

So now the problem is the swing of the doors. Swinging into the room would work for the right but the other would plow into my stage rather than folding back to the wall. Opening out from the theater works great for one side but the other would open into an arched entryway into the living/playroom from a hall, effectively blocking the entrance. A solution would be to have one door swing one way and the other swing the opposite (awkward but for the most part these will be left open or closed depeding on watching movies or entertaining). I'm not sure if this can be done and if so would it ruin the soundproofing. A further complicating factor is the wall will be 6" wide for a staggered stud approach.

Anyone else face this problem and how did you solve it?

Derek

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The solid wood doors is a good idea. You could even use acoustic wall panels on the doors to further control standing waves ( www.acousticalsolutions.com ). I made a door that I retracted into the wall. If you have the room, or build a false wall and retract it there.

·
Registered
27,722 Posts
I am using two exterior solid core doors that came with a weather stripped (sealed) frame). Relatively inexpensive and do wonders for sound retention. Got from local door shop.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I priced external solid core 6 panel doors at Home Depot for just over $100. Not too bad IMO. Now I just need to go and order one.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HTG, Jeff and Toxarch,

Thanks for the great ideas! The problem with the external doors is that to get double doors they both have to swing the same direction. That would cause me some problems. I checked with Home Depot here and for a set of two prehung soundproof doors with close jambs is $420 Canadian. Just the doors would be $229 Canadian (which makes me think door jambs are awfully expensive). External solid doors of this type are about $700 CDN for the cheapest ones.

Derek

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Interior solid core doors might be cheaper. They are like 1/8 inch thinner or something like that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
When people are in a dark, windowless room, especially a basement, their egress in emergencies needs to be taken into account. Use swing-out doors (from the inside), no pass-through locksets at all. You and your audience should only have to push on the door to get out, not have to find a door opener in the dark. Pull on the door to get in, push on it to get out.

Don't use two doors swinging opposite directions. Very bad idea.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I talked it over with my designer and he suggested going to two 30" doors instead of 36" ones. Although I lose a foot of opening, that will allow both doors to swing out thereby alleviating any safety issues.

Rice Rocket, Thanks for the link. I'll check into that.

Derek

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Rice Rocket, those are great prices on those doors. Usually doors with thoses rating cost triple that. Besides windows, doors seem to leak the most sound. That's my weak spot now. I need better doors and those are the ones I plan to buy. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You're welcome!

I plan to get one of those doors when I build my home theater. I looked very hard, and I don't think there is anything close for the asking price. You can buy two or three Security Acoustic doors for the price of one of the main name brands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.