AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into my own first place and don't have much of a budget, I managed to buy LE46b750 tv and I'm loving it so far, but I don't dare to buy any proper soundsystems before knowing how to cheaply soundproof my place up even a little. The house is a concrete / brick building, very thick outerwalls and build with a floating concrete floor, sadly, it's an old house and the soundproofing is crap. I can hear my upstairs neighbours walking all the time and even hear their speech. I've read a lot about soundproofing, but most soundproofing options are always about wooden structures, what should I know when starting to work with concrete / masonry?

The problem area is simply the ceiling, the walls themselves don't cause a lot of flanking noise, there are a couple of walls that I'll beef up with green glue and double drywall, especially around the gravitational air exchange system so atleast it won't go to air exchance too easily. ( sorry about my English, I'm Finnish and have trouble writing proper understandable text)

Main problem right now is getting rid of footfall noise and speech noise, my ceiling is already pretty low and I have to keep it cheap, preferably portable (not necessary) and it can't lower the room a lot, since according to our building codes, a room under 2.5 meters is no longer considered living space. I'm planning on adding double drywall and Greenglue to the floor and ceiling too, but I read on supersoundproofing that this might cause a low frequenzy problem or even make it worse.

All help is appreciated, please do ask for more information if it is needed.

Otherwise my little living room theater student build is coming along very nicely, working on a nice TV-stand build right now for my consoles, TV and HTPC -laptop, should I post the plans to this thread too?

Cheers.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a confirmed shipper of GG to Finland and I can get drywall for cheap, next I need to know is double drywalling a ceiling with cement slab - green glue- drywall- greenglue-drywall worth doing? It'd cost a bit therefore I would not like to do it unless it'd help the situation.

· Registered
685 Posts
DD and GG will not make it worse unless you create a triple leaf in your configuration. What I id not see in your plans is any decoupling.

· Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakee /forum/post/18142336

I found a confirmed shipper of GG to Finland and I can get drywall for cheap, next I need to know is double drywalling a ceiling with cement slab - green glue- drywall- greenglue-drywall worth doing? It'd cost a bit therefore I would not like to do it unless it'd help the situation.

This will not work or improve anything. You cannot laminate a slab with drywall and damping material.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.