AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm very happy that I to have found this forum and I apologize for asking for help like this on my first post. I have a potential situation with noise coming from my new workshop. The main issues are my router, table saw and dust collector. I know the sound coming from these tools isn't as dynamic as a hts but I thought I should treat the problem in a similar fashion.

I was able to find and lease this nice commercial space 40'*20'*~22'high. A tenant before me had already constructed a loft 32'*20', 11' from the ground, basically dividing the space in half vertically. He made the support walls on the left and right out of 10 foot 2*4's 12" on center. He made the ceiling out of 20 foot 2*12's also 12" oc. He did it 12 oc because the 2*12 joists are spanning 19.5'. I actually plan to brace the loft down the center because there is a good bounce to it. He put some osb down for the floor of the loft and left everything else unfinished. So this week we are going in to sheet rock the entire place but here's the problem. Above the space are quiet offices which are separated from us but concrete (not sure how thick). Without a doubt (especially without the loft as a barrier) I would be driving the people upstairs insane.

So what I would like to do is sound proof the area under the loft (32'*20'*10') where all the tools will be. The back wall is concrete and underground (they built the location out of a hill) and the front wall to the loft area doesn't exist yet but we'll need to frame it out with a 4' wide door. The sides are less important because there is storage in the spaces left and right but I would still like to not have much noise going thru the walls. I was thinking of putting osb or sheetrock up against the loft supporting wall and then re-framing 16" oc or 24" oc to get insulation in easier. By far the most important space to get quiet is the loft area. Not only for my neighbors upstairs but I might want to have an office there also and it would be difficult if its too noisy.

Any ideas on best way to go about soundproofing this and not be ridiculous on the budget? I started looking into homasote, certainteed acoustical insulation, gorilla glue but have no idea what the best option is. Thanks!!

P.S. one of thing I also would like to do is deaden the sound inside space if possible. I wear ear plugs which I never like but if there was some way to absorb as much sound as possible that would be really cool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other thing I forgot is that the space needs to be ventilated somehow, so any suggestions there would be off help also.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Hire a local acoustic engineer - commercial spaces are what they do. They are likely in your yellow pages - or you can look here for the most reputable ones http://www.ncac.com/ .

A shop will have codes and zoning that it has to meet - the last thing you want to do is to be going before your county commissioners paying for a lawyer and an engineer to explain why you think DIY was good enough when they say it was not. Dealing with local governments in commercial developments can be a huge unaccounted for expense that ends up destroying your biz - I read about this happening all the time in our local paper. The big commercial developers even retain lobbyists to grease the wheels...

If we were talking about remodeling your garage - then the advice on this forum for anyone doing a garage HT would certainly apply - though a shop is likely to suffer more structural vibration issues (sanding, etc.). But free advice carries no warranty - and you have some pretty bad liabilities to be depending on free advice.

Also you need to make sure you read the fine print in your lease - you may not be allowed to make the improvements - it may be the requirement of the landlord. And they may not want to make the improvements - they can always lease to someone else!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts