AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our basement was fully finished when we bought the house.

The basement ceiling is drywall (not drop-ceiling).

Our bedroom is directly over the home theater.

Is there any way to cut down the sound?

I know we cant expect to totally eliminate it, and I know the low frequencies will travel. But is there any cost effective way to at least cut it down?

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Mitch,

I am no expert in this field but I have spent an inordinant amout of time reading posts on this forum....

I am assuming you have figured out how to pull cables and wires to your eq

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry about that last post, one of my kids attacked my keyboard.... anyway, if the room size can support it you would be best off building a room within the current room. (Also called floating a room I think...)

Given that the room already has one layer of drywall I would attach resilient metal channels to the existing drywall and then add another layer. Do a google search on resilient drywall channels.... Here is a decent article on the topic:

http://soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

I am sure more folks will chime in with better details Mitch and there are a few ways to do this but all you really need to do is add some mass (the drywall) and some space/air via the channels... If your space and budget allows you could even add two layers of drywall.... Assuming you have 1/2" up now you could add the channels then put up a 5/8" layer then more channels and a 1/2" layer. This would effectively float the room and should keep noise in and out effectively.

Along the way you will also need to address soundproofing the HVAC in the room along with the electrical outlets and such. Do a search in the forum and you will come up with lots of reading material.

Good luck with the project Mitch!

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,619 Posts
You could also first put a layer of Celotex Sound stop board or similar 1/2 inch cellulose fiber panels up, then the channels and then the drywall.

It's cheap $6 ish a 4x8 sheet.

You could blow insulation in the existing interior walls and ceiling through holes you would cut and patch. They rent the units at various home improvement centers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.