AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home theater room is in a larger addition to our house. Because of this the wall leading into the house is block with a limited wood frame and drywall on either side of the wall. Suffice to say, it is thick. Leading into the room is a flimsy door with a thin opaque plastic fill.

My wife goes to bed early, is pregnant and we also have a 18 month old. I would like to "sound proof" the opening. Ideally I would like to get a nice thick door, but the wife seems to be against this right now.

I am an admitted newbie to this sub forum, but was wondering if there was any type of dampening fabric I could hang over the door when I want to do some late night home theater listening?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
For most interior construction the door is rarely the major culprit. Sound transmission through the HVAC system, and (especially LF) transmitted via the studs/joists/drywall etc. are normally the main issues. Isolation requires significant effort, much more than hanging something on the door. Especially at LF, where most fabrics are acoustically transparent.

That said, do I understand that you have concrete blocks so the only framing is around the door itself? You could install a solid-core exterior door with weather sealing and it will help reduce sound transmission from the doorway itself. Just the weather sealing might help...

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Doors are in fact a major flanking (leaking) point due to their size. It's the single largest opening in the room. Door performance is largely defined by the mass of the door slab(s) and the seals.

What you want is a massive door to start. Solid core slab. If you can't accomodate that, then there's less hope...

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
If your wife won't let you get a 'thick' door, at least replace it with a solid (i.e., not hollow) one of the same thickness as the one you have. It needn't look very different from the one you have. Home Depot has 'em.

Then you could also get some adhesive foam or rubber strips to attach to the frame, to help 'seal' the door when it's closed. The bottom opening will also need something to seal it, like a rubber sweep.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I agree with the above, except for the sweep. The was a link with poor info prevously, descibing the rubber sweep. That's a big gap under the door and you need a more massive seal. You should look at an automatic door bottom

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
The mass of the seal is what I was focusing on. You could technically seal the gap at the bottom of the door with Saran Wrap. It would be airtight, but pretty useless. So it's the seal, as well as the material of the seal.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Here is a picture of the door. I really am looking for something quick and dirty as this is just something to allow me to forgo headphones for late night HT and gaming.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Yikes.

A single solid door there would be best. But even with the double doors you could at least still put sealing strips along left, right, and top of the frame. The middle partition too, if it can take it.

In addition try very heavy, multi-layer floor-length curtains, that could be drawn in front of the doors when you're listening. They will further muffle the sound exiting into the rest of the house, but won't attenuate low bass much.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Ouch. The door I used in my media room per my first post is a heavy, solid exterior door and "weather sealing" means I have heavy rubber seals sides and top and a threshold with thick, heavy rubber seal at the bottom so the thing is about as airtight as possible. And it is still the largest sonic source from the room to the house (technically, the exterior windows are worse, but they go, well, outside!)

Making a door with large glass (let alone plastic) areas sound-tight is a major challenge... If you just want to try something, then take krabapple's advice above and see if it's enough to help. Honestly, it takes mass to isolate, and that door does not have much... I'd try convincing the wife how nice a new door would look.

Ted -- I was thinking of a heavy door with seals, thus my comments about walls and HVAC venting being major culprits. Plus posting in the sub forum had me thinking LF, not broadband, isolation. However, even with the work on the door it is still the worst flanking path in my media room, especially since my room has floating walls and ceiling and is isolated from the house HVAC system. Thanks for the correction; not thinking straight that day.

Aside: A friend of mine built a recording studio in his basement and spent something like $12k on recording room and control room doors. They are nice and quiet , but...

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 /forum/post/20879995

My home theater room is in a larger addition to our house. Because of this the wall leading into the house is block with a limited wood frame and drywall on either side of the wall. Suffice to say, it is thick. Leading into the room is a flimsy door with a thin opaque plastic fill.

My wife goes to bed early, is pregnant and we also have a 18 month old. I would like to "sound proof" the opening. Ideally I would like to get a nice thick door, but the wife seems to be against this right now.

I am an admitted newbie to this sub forum, but was wondering if there was any type of dampening fabric I could hang over the door when I want to do some late night home theater listening?

Thanks

I have an open entranceway with no door in my HT/Living room and what worked for me was buying 2 thick moving blankets and hanging them on a curtain rod. Take them to a seamstress and have them stitch the 2 blankets inside of a nice theater curtain. End result is a nice looking theater curtain on a rod which actually has a huge sound absorbing layer inside.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 /forum/post/20879995

Sorry. You need a heavy door with gaskets around it and for not a lot of money (you can get nice acoustic doors with four figure price tags) that implies an exterior door and threshold.

Quote:

No.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.