AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done extensive research on this topic and though I know the "best" way to soundproof my bedroom ceiling (to eliminate noise from tenant above me, mostly impact noise), I have a question for anyone who has completed a ceiling soundproofing project:

Has anyone tried 2 layers of 5/8 drywall over an existing ceiling with 2 layers of Green Glue between each layer? I was told this would have little affect but was hoping to get some feedback from someone who may have tried that method and how much it helped.

To tear down my existing ceiling and cut strips of drywall between joists, green glue, add insulation, etc... is just so much work I really don't want to do it.

Thank you for any insights anyone can offer!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I did what you said in my last theater (bedrooms were above). It didn't help much with footfall sounds. It helped, and it helped a lot with non-contact sounds, but footfalls specifically were still there. I tore the ceiling out for this build I'm working on now.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,168 Posts
To tear down my existing ceiling and cut strips of drywall between joists, green glue, add insulation, etc... is just so much work I really don't want to do it.
Nobody wants to do it, there just aren't any free lunches

1 - 3 of 3 Posts