AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to move into a new house that has an existing builder designed/built media room. The room has no additional insulation or sound proofing and is basically a windowless 15x18 room with a funky ceiling. I plan to completely gut the room and redo it with sound insulation. Unfortunately this room is directly above the living room. I am trying to determine the best way to sound proof between floors. In my current home the media/game room was a few steps up from the rest of the upstairs so I was able to do multiple layers of subflooring "unnoticed". I've seen some pictures of multiple laters of sheetrock / green glue between floor joists attached to the subfloor. I'd like to do this but Im not sure how in an existing home.

Would it be best to take up the subfloor/cut then put back down, and if so how would i attached sheet rock and make it fit snugly between joists and to subfloor without some kind of brackets to alight it in the joists first? Or should i bite the bullet and rip down the ceiling in the living room and attack from below? Or is this whole thing overkill... and a dense rubber pad is all I need?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm far from an expert, as I am just starting to build a new house that will have a dedicated theater. But, I have done a ton of reading in the last couple months, so I'm pretty confident that the response you will get is.

1. You can't sound proof just the floor, because of sound flanking. http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/flanking/

2. Ideally, you need to rip out the sheet rock in the home theater room, use isolation clips and hat channel, and then put up 5/8" drywall, followed by a second layer of 5/8" drywall with green glue sandwiched between the layers. The green glue isn't a glue to hold the second layer of drywall in place, but instead is a sound dampener that greatly reduces sound transmission.

3. You lay down rubber like the Serenity mat on the existing sub floor (leaving a 1/4" or so gab to newly sheetrocked walls, and on top of the rubber, you put down 3/4" OSB or plywood over the rubber mat. Possibly a second layer of OSB with green glue between the layers (I've seen some differences of opinion on this).

Bottom line, everything I've read says you need to sound proof all six walls of the home theater room, and you can't just focus on the floor above a room of concern, or the ceiling of that room (living room in your case).

It will cost you a couple inches of space in the room, but if you are willing to do it, isolation clips, double drywall + green glue for the four walls and ceiling, and then Serenity mat plus one or two layers of flooring, is going to be your best bet for keeping the bad noise out of the home theater, and keeping the good noise in it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am fine sound proofing the 5 walls, Im not sure how to do the floor because adding a 2nd / 3rd layer on the floor will make it uneven from the hallway. I would be ok taking up sections of subfloor and adding something between, but it might be easier to do from below by ripping down sheetrock.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ  /t/1468187/soundproofing-floor-theater-on-2nd-floor#post_23202970

I am fine sound proofing the 5 walls, Im not sure how to do the floor because adding a 2nd / 3rd layer on the floor will make it uneven from the hallway. I would be ok taking up sections of subfloor and adding something between, but it might be easier to do from below by ripping down sheetrock.

I think the problem you are going to have is that by attacking it from below the sub floor you are not going to isolate the floor, and therefore sound, from the floor joists, which means no matter what you do between and under the floor joists, sound is going to be transmitted through the structure of your house.

You should talk with Ted of soundproofingcompany.com to figure out your best options considering your constraints.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.