AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres my prob..a year ago i was new to this home theater stuff.. i put together a nice setup and for my audio i purchased the onkyo 990thx htib. well a few months go buy and i realize i shouldve just bought a receiver, some speakers and a sub. so the receiver is good for now, so i purchased 3 inwalls for the front channels, 2 in ceilings for surround channels and a velodyne spl-1500r for the monster bass that i was looking for..well i live in a new townhome and today while i was watching a movie my neighbor knocks at the door and tells me that her house is shaking.. she cant hear anything (which is good) but she can "feel" it and her house is rumbling..i just need to know, what is the best way to soundproof against these low frequincies. i would like to be able to use this awesome sub and not keep it turned down all the way..any help would be great

·
Registered
802 Posts
Your best cheap bet is to get something that will isolate the sub from the flooring, like a SubDude.

If she can't hear anything, but only feels it, you have a chance of making that work. My best advice: stay on her good side and make it clear that you're trying your best to be a good neighbor, but set the expectation that you might need a few tries of re-arranging your setup until you get something that you can enjoy without annoying her. Most people are pretty receptive if you seem to be trying.

Also, you may well have the sub "cranked" higher than (relative) reference levels because it's a new toy and you want to really feel it. You may find it just as enjoyable at a slightly lower level (use a calibration DVD and sound meter if you're super-anal; you might be a hundred posts away from that level though.
)

Last resort: there may be a "night mode" or equivalent on your receiver that will tone down the sub for times when your neighbor is home or has a reasonable expectation to not have her salt shaker move all by itself.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have an older version of the SubDude. It really slows down the vibration. Make sure your sub will fit on it. I had to buy two because my sub is extra large.

Also make sure nothing touches the sub.

I have a 12x16 room that is a bedroom with no closet. It had one layer of drywall. I added hundreds of drywall screws. After applying Green Glue, another 1/2" drywall was added to all walls and the ceiling. Then came hundreds more drywall screws. It basically adds up to a sturdy surface. Pounding on the wall has little effect. It's kinda like a brick wall to help dampen all frequencies, some more than others.

Go to adjacent rooms and hear if sound is leaking. It's amazing how an electrical receptacle in the HT can leak sound.

However, the deeper the bass the more challenging it is to control it. In my case, I go for the deepest bass and have a Buttkicker amplifier and Crowson Shakers under the two rows of seats. It really does shake those 6 Lazy-Boy seats when the deepest tones, maybe

·
Registered
252 Posts
How about a separate room that is not attached to the house? Then with proper sound proofing you can crank up the audio to your heart's content.

Take Aim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts