AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unusual sized room in a townhome/condo with a shared wall. I'm looking at picking up some 2'x4' room Acoustaboard and would like some opinions on how much and where to put it.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Don't confuse treatments with soundproofing. In room treatments will not block sound, but rather only make the room sound better. Typical treatments include treating the first reflection points and bass traps. Typical sound proofing includes decoupling, dampening and mass.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Soundproofing would typically consist of drywall addition at a minimum. Is that in the cards? Panels won't isolate, only condition the sound.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Floor is concrete, carpet pad, and carpet.

The reality of another layer of drywall is hitting me, because the baseboard/door/window trim would have to be redone. On the other hand, if I do add a new layer, I'd have the luxury of wiring some wall sconces. I hadn't considered this an option before, but if I'm starting again from scratch (already having painted all walls/ceiling + installing the screen), it would be an option, albeit more expensive.

New question: With a new layer of drywall, how are the existing elecrtical outlets incorporated?

The major factor in this is cost. This isn't a single family detached home, but I did buy the place specifically for this room. If I can have a layer of green glue and drywall installed for a good price, I'd have to seriously consider it.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You'd have to get a quote, but drywall is about $8 for 4x8. Electrical box extenders are about $1.29

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,163 Posts
You haven't told us what type of construction you unit is, how are the common walls constructed and isolated, which wall in your diagram is common, whether you have neighbors above or below.

Also where you live and type of construction is a big factor in cost. Is this a NY high rise, row townhouse, or Florida garden style unit.

A picture would also help us understand your existing window molding construction and what might be required to add another layer of DW.

Also before spending a dime you should give your set up a test by playing an intense action movie sequence in cooperation with your neighbor allowing you to listen first hand at what sound is making it into their unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts