AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read so many different forums and it all has gotten me confused. I just bought a townhouse, and I can hear the neighbors talking through the one side of the house. The walls are made up of cinderblock and covering the cinderblock is a cement-base board. (house was built 1960s). I am on a very tight budget and want to limit as much space as possible.

I thought about putting 1x3 wood furring strips and covering them with 2 layers of roofing felt. Then add 2 layers of drywall (acoustic silicone would be applied to the first layer of the drywall and felt).

Now before I get eaten alive with what I have come up with, let me explain. I've read in other websites people using roofing felt or flooring underlayment for walls and covered it with the drywall. Some others use MLV instead of the felt and add a layer or 2 of drywall. They say it works. I don't know if it does and that's why I am here asking you guys. I know about the RC, whisperclips, green glue, rockwool, quietrock and MLV. But like I said I am on a tight budget and want to limit losing space. I need to cover about 500 sqft of wall space. That layout would cost less than $650.

So would this setup work or not? If not, what should be substituted or what would be the best solution given the budget and space?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention this would go over the existing wall. I tore up the one bathroom wall on the other side and the setup was like this: cinderblock, metal sheet and cement board held with mortar. It was hell ripping that up!

·
Registered
578 Posts
good question

I especially like the part that you're on a budget.. It's fun finding cheaper solutions..but I don't really have a solution as I'm no expert.. Look into rigid fiberglass panels.. They are not cheap! This plus regular 5/8" drywall may work.... but wait for someone more knowledgeable to corroborate my theory..

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have read so many different forums and it all has gotten me confused. I just bought a townhouse, and I can hear the neighbors talking through the one side of the house. The walls are made up of cinderblock and covering the cinderblock is a cement-base board. (house was built 1960s). I am on a very tight budget and want to limit as much space as possible.

I thought about putting 1x3 wood furring strips and covering them with 2 layers of roofing felt. Then add 2 layers of drywall (acoustic silicone would be applied to the first layer of the drywall and felt).

Now before I get eaten alive with what I have come up with, let me explain. I've read in other websites people using roofing felt or flooring underlayment for walls and covered it with the drywall. Some others use MLV instead of the felt and add a layer or 2 of drywall. They say it works. I don't know if it does and that's why I am here asking you guys. I know about the RC, whisperclips, green glue, rockwool, quietrock and MLV. But like I said I am on a tight budget and want to limit losing space. I need to cover about 500 sqft of wall space. That layout would cost less than $650.

So would this setup work or not? If not, what should be substituted or what would be the best solution given the budget and space?

Thanks
Without looking at it its hard to say what to do. Even if you cover the wall with more mass there may be flanking pathways through the ceiling joists etc that are allowing the sound to transmit. You could call Ted at thesoundproofingcompany for advice. I would think using clips, metal channel and then 2 layers of drywall with green glue in between would be the best option but will start to add up in cost depending on the size of the wall. You will still probably get sound coming over the wall through the ceiling though. The furring strips wont decouple the wall which is what you need for sound proofing. Call Ted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts