AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Suede or SoundSuede for high frequency absorption panels?

Is anyone aware of any data relating to the use of suede (ATS Microsuede, Auralex Sonosuede, etc) or SoundSuede (Acoustical Solutions, etc.) as a covering over high frequency absorbing materials? This post from someone apparently representing Acoustical Solutions years back seems to describe it as useful for absorption panels , though the post doesn't entirely make sense to me. Because of the tight weave it's easy to assume that it is not 100% acoustically transparent and would not be useful for covering speakers. I can't imagine that after being around for more than a decade there isn't objective data relating to it's acoustic properties.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Well, no data to back it up, but I've got SoundSuede panels on the walls in my theater, and they're certainly working as absorption panels as designed.

And I think the suede-like fabrics look much nicer than most the GoM ones I've seen. I wanted to avoid the "commercial" look of the GoM-covered panels...

Reactions: RobZ

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, no data to back it up, but I've got SoundSuede panels on the walls in my theater, and they're certainly working as absorption panels as designed.

And I think the suede-like fabrics look much nicer than most the GoM ones I've seen. I wanted to avoid the "commercial" look of the GoM-covered panels...
Nice theater! I currently have three panels (2x 4x6 covering windows/first reflection and one on opposite side). I definitely prefer the look over GOM and the fabric ATS uses (died burlap). However, now that I am moving forward with multiple panels and corner traps I am questioning the effectiveness of the panels compared to those with a more open weave. For bass trapping it's obvious they would be fine. However, the concern is whether or not the material reflects high frequency to a significantly higher degree than GOM, etc. In other words, how far off from optimal is the material?

This post from another thread is the closest I've found to test data: (the website tmlaboratories.com is closed now)

Guilford Anchorage does not have very good acoustical transparency. My measurements show that it attenuates more than 3 dB at 2 kHz, and about 6 dB at 8 kHz. That is at least a doubling of panel space required at these higher frequencies, compared to FR701.

"SoundSuede" fabric is similar to Anchorage in performance. Dazian Janus measures a little better, with around 2 dB attenuation at 2 kHz, but 4 dB at 8 kHz.

- Terry

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a measurement sweep of a speaker then drape the fabric over the speaker and run the sweep again. The difference is the absorption/reflection curve
I had called the manufacturer of the panels earlier and it would require I purchased material. The samples are too small. I purchased pre-fabricated panels. The post that I quoted above sites objective measurements so I was hoping someone would know where to find them (the sire has since closed).

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Do a measurement of the reflection with the covered side, then turn it around to just show the rigid fiberglas (no fabric) and do the same measurement. Just place the panel somewhere fixed so you can repeat both sides in exactly the same position...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts