1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
all 3 look great which is a good thing

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Source was a great engine--a few years ago. It could have been better if Valve stopped playing with the physics and actually concentrated on releasing games. That's the curse of all these game companies that succumb to the siren's call of engine licensing royalties... that's all they care about. I'm sure our yearly allotment of 4 hours of new Half-Life 2 play will be sweet while it lasts.

I'll believe UT and the CryEngine2 quality when I see it. I recall how Halo's shots looked great in the cutscenes, but the actual game itself was a letdown by comparison. The Doom3 engine was nice but it didn't translate into anything that was enjoyable. Those CryEngine2 demo shots of the face reduce in quality to a similar degree when in mixed scenes--look at the face when it has to be rendered along with (somewhat low-quality) backgrounds.

I'd be fine with just more games based on the older engines. Graphics are nice but not when you only get to play a game on it once every 4 years. Plus I have serious doubts that something like the CE2 setup running as nicely on consoles as on the PC platform. At least I know on PC I'll always get true 1920x1080p resolution if I want it.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/0

I don't see the point of including the Source engine in this comparison. That being said, I'd like to see a video of all three engines facial animation systems because I'm sure Source will stomp the others, the only place it would.

I don't know, because Source still looks "comparable"?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Cryengine 2 is obviously a vastly superior engine and will take an enormous amount of horsepower to run. Crytek has said that if you have a DX10 SLI rig with 4 GB of RAM that we will bring it to its knees. I guess they are putting in all kinds of customization that goes well beyond what most current systems are capable of. Crysis is probably my most anticipated game but I am trying to act like it doesn't exist because my 6800GT will not do it justice. I will wait till at least the end of 08 when I can upgrade my PC.

Unreal Engine 3 is great, and I am really excited to play the tons of games that will come out of it. But, I have a bigtime beef with it. I don't know if it is the engine itself or hopefully just the developers, but games like Gears of War seem to have the idea that next gen=shiny and tons of bloom.

EVERYTHING is shiny and EVERYTHING has so much bloom everywhere that it is really annoying. The other big complaint is that all the faces look like plastic and clay. Really fake looking. I loved playing through Gears and enjoyed the graphics, but I hope that other developers do not try to copy them just because they won so many awards. I don't want every game I play to look like that.

I am really hoping that UT3 is not overdone like Gears was. The footage I have seen so far looks great. Maybe they realized their mistakes with Gears or maybe the number of players and huge environments in UT3 is preventing them from overdoing and abusing the "next gen" effects. Either way, I am glad.

Source engine was awesome for its time and looking at those screen shots I am still impressed by it. I thought it was so well balanced and lent itself to a very realistic and convincing world. I think the facial animations in Cryengine 2 will prove to be large improvement over Source though.

Can't wait to play the next Half Life episodes and see what they have done with a revamped Source engine. And Team Fortress 2 looks like an absolute blast! IGN just had a big 5 day preview of the Orange box and they said that it could rival Halo 3 as the best multiplayer experience of 07!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/0

I don't think it's remotely comparable. It still looks great, but the Unreal and Cry shots are leaps and bounds above.

The shot of the fisherman dude and water effects definitely are comparable. No doubt Cry and Unreal are better but Source still holds it own. Look at it as a comparsion of an older engine with the newer engines.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Stills Look Great

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
ima have to go with the source engine. it was release 2 or so years ago, and still holds its own. plus out of the 3, it looks the most realistic. cry and ut looks 2 plasticky to me.

they all look good so you cant go wrong either way

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ok i know these are the most common gamming engines...What engine is resistance, motorstorm and warhawk using? They seem to be using the same engine, except warhawk seems to have the latest version since it has more detail even more than motorstorm.

I know they have the unreal 3 engine working on the PS3. Does anybody know what engine Haze is using?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripjammer /forum/post/0

Ok i know these are the most common gamming engines...What engine is resistance, motorstorm and warhawk using? They seem to be using the same engine, except warhawk seems to have the latest version since it has more detail even more than motorstorm.

I know they have the unreal 3 engine working on the PS3. Does anybody know what engine Haze is using?

Free Radical's own in house engine is being used for Haze.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch /forum/post/0

Free Radical's own in house engine is being used for Haze.

yeah and the link i posted was for some old, old pics. sorry to hijack your thread here man but based on screenshots alone, the haze engine is every bit as good as those shots above. better even...

tripjammer:

resistance uses its own engine. motorstorm uses its own engine. warhawk uses its own engine. interestingly, the new wipeout coming for the ps3 is using the motorstorm engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.