Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Painted our ceiling black. Wow, what a differece! We have a white smoke detector that sticks out like a lighthouse beacon. Anyone know of a source for a black one?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
although i don`t have a source for you,but i do have an idea.

how about wrapping it in speaker grill cloth:)

ts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I painted my CRT case with black auto bumper paint, worked great. I'll tear the guts out of the detector and trypainting it.

I'll let ya' know how it works.

Take care,

Kevin

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If you disassemble the detector or modify it in anyway including painting the outside of the chamber (detector) housing your insurance will not cover you PERIOD!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Why not just move to to the back of the room?

or maybe hang a 3inch piece of black cloth in front of it?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Pease
If you disassemble the detector or modify it in anyway including painting the outside of the chamber (detector) housing your insurance will not cover you PERIOD!
Um!!

Most insurance companies require x number of detectors for x level of insurance. Since the insurance company doesn't dictate brand or exact location having more than the min. than a insurance company would care less. Heck do they state in my policy to replace the bat. once every 6 months or else? I don't think so! If you are up in the air about this issue then a simple phone call and review of you policy would set this straight.

Dave

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you're afraid painting it black will void the insurance, how about putting in another white one outside the home theater area. Wouldn't this satisfy the insurance company and provide you with another level of saftey at the same time?

Deane

·
Registered
971 Posts
Why would painting the ouside cover void your insurance? How does the color of the thing affect it's smoke detecting capabilities? I don't get it.

Andy

·
Registered
208 Posts
It must, somehow, affect the detecor, as all of mine say DO NOT PAINT on them

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_EtheC
It must, somehow, affect the detecor, as all of mine say DO NOT PAINT on them
I wonder if that is for legal purposes or actually has an affect?

My guess would be legal since Joe 6 pack could easily glob paint on the sensing device and render it useless.

Dave

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ebr
Since a smoke detector is designed to save lives, not property
You got the right answer, but it is in the reverse order. NFPA codes are about saving property and lives of course.

Your smoke detectors are strictly designed incompliance to NFPA and UL codes. Modifying such device and that includes painting the housing will make the device noncompliant.

God forbid you end up having an accident (fire) and the device fails to operate as intended.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Modifying such device and that includes painting the housing will make the device noncompliant.
Jerry

Using the words "will make" sounds like this is fact. Please provide a link or rephrase.

Dave

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy238
Why would painting the ouside cover void your insurance? How does the color of the thing affect it's smoke detecting capabilities? I don't get it.

Andy
It does, or else it would not say it on the label. Pending on what type of detector you have there are obscuration factors that may affect the smoke chamber. Also the plastic must meet UL codes. The paint is not part of that.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
It does, or else it would not say it on the label. Pending on what type of detector you have there are obscuration factors that may affect the smoke chamber. Also the plastic must meet UL codes. The paint is not part of that.

Jerry

Sorry for picking on you.

It sounds like you are making guesses facts!!! Please provide links!!! I think you are full of BS with some nice guesses!

Dave

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Richardson

Jerry

Sorry for picking on you.

It sounds like you are making guesses facts!!! Please provide links!!! I think you are full of BS with some nice guesses!

Dave
If you think that I am
Quote:
Originally posted by David Richardson
full of BS
in regards "to paint or not to paint" the detector housing, why dont you prove me wrong. I have better things to do.

Cheers,

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's not the insurance companies directly that will have a problem with it, it is the building codes, which if you are in violation of, is cause for your insurance company to avoid paying a claim. Insurance companies are always looking for a way to avoid a claim.

The building codes are very specific in the numbers, locations and types of smoke detectors required in a house. Take a visit to your local city hall and ask them what the law requires.

ps I had started writing this before the name calling started. Here are some links and quotes supporting the DO NOT PAINT camp.

===============================

8-93 Removal or tampering.

It shall be unlawful for any person to remove a properly functioning smoke detector installed in conformance with this article unless it is replaced. It shall be unlawful for any person to remove batteries or in any other way make inoperable or interfere with the effectiveness of a smoke detector installed in conformance with this article, except that this provision shall not apply to any owner or owner's agent in the normal procedure of replacing batteries. (Ord. No. 90-64, § 5, 7-3-90; Ord. No. 99-340, § 6, 5-4-99)

8-94 - 8-120 Reserved.

http://www.mrsc.org/mc/fedway/federalway08.htm

==============================================

==========================================

Here is one from the International Association of Fire Chiefs

Cleaning

Just as you clean your home, your smoke detectors need to be cleaned. Make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions about cleaning. Cobwebs and dust usually can be removed with a vacuum cleaner attachment. If you are going to be doing work nearby that could send dust in the air, cover the detector with a shield. Also, shield the detector if you are painting around it, and never paint on it. Remove the shield promptly after work is completed

http://www.cfdonline.org/detector.htm

This one is repeated MANY MANY times in searches on Yahoo - in fire departments, police departments, etc.

==================================================

If you simply did a search on smoke detector painting, you could have saved yourself the embarrassment of looking like a jerk in public! I would have expected more from a AVS Special Member!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay, so most of us are really guessing here.

Here are my guesses, tempered with some experience with building codes, real live inspectors, and both sides of the insurance questions when a Hi-Fi store went up in flames.

The smoke detector is designed to work. It works. Since the smoke detector manufacturer cannot control how well anybody does any modifications to it, they say "do not modify it." That is the gist of the whole thing.

You can carefully mask off areas that should not be painted, then paint it, and it will work perfectly. However, since the written spec says "do not paint," the detector will be out of compliance. "Compliance" means meeting the entire description, not just working. And then the insurance company can deny a claim, even though you had not damaged the detector by painting it.

I am reminded here of someone's signature on this site, noting that stupidity is infinite. I have seen a painter paint speaker grilles with a roller that had a 1/2" nap, neatly sealing up all the holes. In that vein, why would a company making smoke detectors, on which lives depend, leave loopholes for such idiots to be idiots?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.