AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my WDTV for a few weeks now and so far I'm pretty satisfied. Coupled with my Wal-mart special Vizzion plasma TV and Onkyo 7.1 system the few HD files I have look and sound really good, but most of my source material either looks like trash or has no surround sound.

I'm stymied over a source for high quality 720p files. Amazon.com seems to only have standard def material for sale, and the few other places I found through Google either read like scam sites trying to sell me torrents or only offer streaming content.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any sites that offer HD content without DRM (as the WDTV won't play protected files) with DD or DTS sound at a reasonable price.

· Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallie Miles /forum/post/15411623

I've had my WDTV for a few weeks now and so far I'm pretty satisfied. Coupled with my Wal-mart special Vizzion plasma TV and Onkyo 7.1 system the few HD files I have look and sound really good, but most of my source material either looks like trash or has no surround sound.

I'm stymied over a source for high quality 720p files. Amazon.com seems to only have standard def material for sale, and the few other places I found through Google either read like scam sites trying to sell me torrents or only offer streaming content.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any sites that offer HD content without DRM (as the WDTV won't play protected files) with DD or DTS sound at a reasonable price.

What's a reasonable price? Are you looking for free torrents or a legit company?

· Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallie Miles /forum/post/15411623

I use an ATSC dongle to record hidef broadcasts, edit then either leave in original MPEG2 or compress to MPEG4 depending on where I want to use it.

There is a unit that will record from component HD which could be used for "fair use" recording of cable, satellite or even BD.

I don't think there are legal HD files for download other than some artsy stuff and trailers.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmediaplayerfan /forum/post/15411858

What's a reasonable price? Are you looking for free torrents or a legit company?

If the torrent is authorized by the content owner, that's fine; I know how to use uTorrent, but I'm not really interested in the Pirate Bay. What I'd really like is something like what Amazon does with their MP3 service. They're of a consistant quality (if not the highest bitrate), have no DRM (so I can use them on whatever device I want) AND they're legal, so I don't have to worry about the RIAA coming after me. If they offered the same service for HD content I wouldn't look any further, but as I stated before, it seems as if all Amazon has for video sales is SD.

As for reasonable price, it depends on what's being offered. Old movie or new? Just the basic flick, or bonuses? I'd expect to pay more for a recent, popular movie such as The Dark Knight than I would for something like The Last Starfighter or Tron. I'd also expect to pay more for things such as commentary tracks and making-of specials. Same kind of thing for TV shows - is it a one-off or is there a series available? Current or classic series?

Look at Amazon's pricing structure for their digital video content - that seems fair to me for SD (as long as there is no DRM included - I haven't been able to find a statement about that yet). Now add on a couple or three bucks more for higher HD quality and bandwidth to download it. I'd say that was reasonable.

· Registered
287 Posts
Incredibly fascinating.....not an owner yet, but soon....wonder what everyone else on this forum is watching HD...

And where in the world do you get TrueHD/DTS HD-MA tracks for PCH players?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.