Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Does anyone know of a source for the voltage regulator chips U2309 and U2303? They are LNBP13SP in the SO-10 surface mount packaging.

Sony parts WILL NOT sell them. They claim that they are no longer available. If you order using the part number from their service manual you will receive the incorrect part and they say that the correct part is not available. Period. Tough luck. Send it in for service. When I asked them how they were going to repair it if the part is not available the reply was "Gee, maybe the repair dept. has another source."

Sounds pretty strange to me.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Kazak

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but I found that one too. $500.00 minimum order..

I was thinking of smaller quanities :)

The strange thing is that Klassic has ordered the same part number from Sony earlier and received the correct part. Sony refuses to believe that this actually happened.

I don't get it.

Thanks,

Kazak

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Did you check with Klassic on this problem?

Had you talked to more then one Sony Rep?

Someone at Sony might have been having a bad day and told you incorrect info... OR maybe they are right and just felt like being unfriendly was part of the service.

I might be wrong but doesn't Sony Parts offer an online order form?

Later,

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

I did some digging and this is what I have got.

Sony's Direct Accessories & Parts Center

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/

Searching for an LNBP13SP (Sony Part # 9-885-011-87) finds this:

Item Requested : 988501187

Description : IC-VREG, 15X25V, LNBP13SP, 900

Currently In Stock : Yes

Price(in USD) : $ 8.74

The Description listed above MATCHES the listing in the Manual.

I've not needed to buy anything for my UTVs yet (besides a keyboard and some soda bottle caps) and I hope I never will...

I don't know what requirements you'll need to complete this order with Sony but I'd say order online and avoid the hassle of TALKING to anyone over the phone... Computers are much more friendly... :)

If you must talk to another Customer Rep. Have a copy of the web site's listing... They can't deny what their own site says... (it "STILL" matches the manual description AND says it is in stock!!)

Later,

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Igodavid,

I have talked to no less than 6 different reps at Sony parts over the past 6 weeks or so. I originally ordered from their web page and what you get is an invoice that lists the correct part number and description and a package that has the correct part number and description but the actual part in the bag is not correct!

At first they said it was a bin labeling problem but now they say that the service manual is incorrect and that the part in the bag is correct for that part number (even though the description doesnt match the part in the bag). They claim that LNBP13SP's ARE NOT AVAILABLE.

I have given them their part designation U2309 & U2303 per their schematic AND the actual chip number LNBP13SP and they say "yes we know what you are talking about, its that 10 pin voltage regulator chip, sorry, not available, nothing we can do about it"

They then suggested that I send it in to the repair dept. (which they have no contact with). When I asked where the repair dept. gets the part they didn't know! Again, this was Sony PARTS I was talking with.

I have placed 2 orders at seperate times and both were wrong.

Crazy huh?

Thanks,

Kazak

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sony's online ordering is not user-friendly.

Spent 2 weeks trying to order parts for the Sony big screen online. Kept looking like everything was proceeding fine but in the end it would not place the order. Called CSR (helpful, pleasant). Said I was doing everything correctly, right part nos. & all, had them in stock--told to just keep trying.

Finally got a Sony parts person on the phone that said even though it looks good online there are some parts that can't be ordered online!!!! She placed the order over the phone & the part appeared in the mail within a week.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Then it seems we need to have Sony update the website or find the correct "revised" part #...

I did searches on several "main" parts someone might want to replace... (power supply, pc board, remote, etc.) The PC board has a revised # (better performance?) both versions are out of stock... but at least they have the cross reference...

Sony has MANY layers to itself... I once needed info. on a 1972 Sony VTR (reel to reel VCR) that "isn't supported" (duh!). It took a lot of jumping though hoops but I got a guy who did "field repairs" on these units (he belonged to Sony's Magnetic Tape Division or something) and was able to transfer those reels to VHS for me...

Finding the correct part should be possible... just got to talk to the people that assign the numbers...

On the same note... does anyone have access to RCA's UTV part book and ordering service? Maybe they don't have it screwed up...

Later,

David T.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey Kazak... sorry to hear what's happening.

Maybe this explains why these guys..
http://www.psr1.com/dss_repair.htm

Have said they can't fix UTV's anymore because they can't get the parts.

You should contact them and see what they have to say.

Maybe you should buy the 500 chips and sell them on the forum! At least you will get the two you need.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh, if I thought I had any chance of selling all of them I might just do it.

Heck, I don't even know if this will fix my unit. All I know is that they were bad. There is a real good chance that there is more wrong with it.

It's REALLY annoying to run into a wall like this. You KNOW that they have the damn things. Sigh...

I just keep checking my usual parts houses hoping for the best.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was trying to get a part for a SACD player from Sony parts. No luck on their website so I tried calling a Sony parts person. He couldn't find the part I was looking for either. This was even with me supplying the part number and description listed in the service manual. So I drove to Sony's part/repair center in Irvine, CA to try again.

After waiting in line behind many PlayStation owners, a guy at a terminal helped me. He was able to bring up a pdf file of the service manual, but he couldn't find the part by the part number either. When he called in some other people to help figure it out, I was watching over his shoulder. I noticed that one of the screens listed an "update" to the service manual. I encouraged him to look there and it turned out that the update gave the desired part a brand new part number. Their system seemed set up so that it's easy to miss these updates.

Finally finding the correct part number was the good news. The bad news was that the one new part cost just $9 less than a whole new machine.:eek:

So if you have more patience than I do, you might call again and ask them to look at other files at the same level on their screen where they would open the service manual for the UTV. It just shows up as a brief single line entry at first. There could be a revision/addendum/update/bulletin with a revised part number.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good advice,

I think I'll give it a try...

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same thing happened to me i end with incorrect parts, but i got lucky and spoke with a nice rep and she gave me some info on their distributors and ordered parts again just waiting for them to arrive.

Place is Andrews electronics: 1-800 274-4666.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well now, this is a GREAT piece of news. I will be calling first thing monday morning. THANKS decastro45! Please let us know what your outcome is.

What a great forum huh?

·
Registered
311 Posts
ATTA BOY decastro45!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK guys,

I placed my order with them yesterday (Mon).

Keep your fingers crossed for me...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Maybe we should wait till you have the stuff in hand but...

Give us some details... Are they shipping the Sony Part you requested... did you/they say anything about the mixup with Sony?

Was the price of the part and shipping much different from what Sony wanted?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ALLRIGHT!!!

The CORRECT parts came today from Andrews Electronics. I soldered those puppies in and guess what? It looks like this thing is alive!!! I got the correct voltages at both F connectors so I hooked it up and lo and behold BOTH tuners locked with a good (96) signal. I've done all the testing I can without an access card and it seems to be just fine.

klassic and decastro45 are my heros!!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'll let you all know how it goes when I gat a card.

Oh yeah, the chips were $8.74 each and $6.95 shipping.

kazak

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Repaired UTV tuners for everyone/anyone...

Since this procedure has been done before and seems to be getting more common place as others do it AND since parts are still available... Does anyone that has done this DIY project have a digital camera and want to share photos of this "tuner" fix and write up some instructions of how they did what/when/where?...

There is hope for an immortal UTV yet!

Later,

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.