AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have finally retired my much loved but phosphor burnt Pioneer Elite HD530 Rear Projection CRT HDTV, and stepped into the compromise world of Samsung LED LCD "Precision Dimming" TV (UNC558000)

I have hit the books and research pretty heavily to know to turn off Auto Motion Plus, (hate the soap opera effect) Turn off edge enhancement, turn off black enhance, turn ON LED Motion Plus, etc, to approximate the smoothness I used to take for granted in my Pioneer, and I am pretty happy with it. Plus the 3D capability is really quite impressive.

All that said, I have made such settings for each of my AV sources based on the material I am likely to be viewing:

XBOX360: Gaming only. Standard picture mode, cool color temp, all motion smoothing off, contrast at 95, black level at about 45, LED Motion Plus On, sharpness at about 20, etc etc, geared for a hyped picture that still has no motion artifacts.

Blu-Ray: Film Mode, EVERYTHING off, sharpness at 0, color temp warm, etc etc

TV: Similar to XBOX360, Judder reduction at 0 blur reduction at 2, LED Motion Plus on, etc etc.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR808 reciever

My question is this:

In order to get true Dolby and DTS discrete 7.1 soundtracks from a blu-ray player, you MUST run the HDMI cable through the receiver, since optical and coaxial feeds to the receiver cannot handle anything more than the compressed dolby and DTS formats like Dolby Digital and standard DTS.

I am used to my older setup where each source was connected to the TV directly (analog and HDMI to DVI cables) and I used my harmony 550 universal remote to handle all the audio and video source switching.

That was the only way to have the televisoon settings be specific to the source, since there are no specific commands in the harmony database for selecting display settings directly.

I usually RTFM, but in this case I am finding a lot of generic sounding information in the manuals that does not directly address this concern.

Does HDMI-CEC address this?

I see that, at least when the sources are directly connected to the TV, that CEC (Anynet) sources come up in the source list in their own section above the list of hard inputs below (where they are duplicated, but not identified)

Will today's HDMI recievers pass the source's identity through to the TV, and as such, can the TV remember settings for the sources separately even though they are coming down the same HDMI cable from the monitor output on my Onkyo?

Any recounting of others experience in this regard would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.