AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any sources for the video content that's displayed on plasma tvs on our favorite shows like CSI Miami, West Wing, Star Trek, Stargate, etc. Obviously 99.9% is highly protected but has any of it made its way onto a file server? I would presume in most cases these are only files that could be played by a home theater PC (as they're probably custom designed by graphics artists) and not something that's just a DVD. Just looking for some extra ways to show off the plasma. The Stargate symbol locking sequence would be pretty cool as would some of the medical diagnostic displays from Star Trek: Enterprise and of course, there's always the nuclear simulation from West Wing. I realize that this is a long shot, fantasy, pipe dream, etc. but hey what's the harm in asking? The stuff is out there, somewhere, even if it is locked up tighter than the Area 51 files...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dont count on finding it in the public domain! If you are graphically inclined, however, try doing something yourself. There are many 3D programs that can help you do this. At work we have a few 50" plasmas that are turned sideways and used on the news set. Our graphics people make all kinds of cool things that get displayed on them during the show. They make it seem easy, but I'm sure its not!

bob

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, my girlfriend is a graphics designer actually but I figure somebody on here has to have an 'in' somewhere. Course they probably wouldn't keep it if they shared their connection....

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump.....still hoping.......Let me expand the scope of this thing to any other material that people like to display on their plasmas (other than movies on DVD, recorded OTA high def off of HTPC hard drive, live HD via DirecTV, Dish, or OTA).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Obviously, one MAJOR issue with recreating a display like a ST medical display would be burn-in. By the very nature of it it would be the worst sort of thing you could do! These are mostly static images with a few moving "monitors" for various functions on a high-contrast background (ie usually black.)

Since you are using an HTPC, I'd suggest some cool full screen visualizations with Winamp or Windows Media player. You are probably familiar with 3DMark from Mad Onion? It's a benchmarking program to test your computers 3D gaming capabilities. With a high end graphics card, there are several demo scenes that can be looped full screen that would look very nice! Especially the recreation of the Matrix lobby scene done with the Max Payne engine in hi-resolution.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wasn't planning to leave the demo stuff up, it's just that eye candy, stuff to cycle through. What you suggest is what I had pretty much planned to do absent any other content. Just thought I'd float the balloon and see who'd bite. Didn't expect anything really just figured what the hey...

·
Registered
772 Posts
my cousin is part of the group who creates all the eye-candy on mtv... they use some pretty high-end stuff probably not suitable for home...

a realistic 'homegrown' way would be to create a 3d model using something like 3D Studio Max and manipulating the object(s) either in 3D Studio Max or another environment sequencing proggy like Bryce3D before exporting it to an acceptable playback format. it took me quite a while to learn how to use these types of tools though... longer than it took me to master photoshop, which in turn took me longer to learn than web programming.

MMAfia

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
I think many of these sequences could easily be sold into eye candy DVDs that one could demo one's system with.

There's alot of content out there that's used once for some TV show and then thrown away.

At least audio effects are now being reused (sites like sounddogs.com resell them).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See that's the kind of thinking I had. Ofer and I are totally on the same wavelength. Someone could make more money back from stitching these things together and putting them on a DVD. (That was the next step). I just wanted to see if this stuff is 'out there'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.