AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious--do people buy their RG-6 coax online or locally? My local options are limited to the usual suspects--in this case Lowe's, Home Depot, CC, BB, etc. and I don't always feel like I'm getting that good of a deal at some of those places.

I was recently in Lowe's asking about bulk cable, and the guy that showed up when I pressed the button ("Help needed in the wire cutting area...help needed in the wire cutting area.") gave me a completely wrong explanation of the cable types they had for sale. I decided not to debate with him about it, and ended up just walking out...this was the same store, oddly enough, where a person told me that antennas wouldn't work after Feb. 09.

Which online vendors are good, cheap, or good and cheap? Shipping seems to be the great equalizer...

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by folksnake /forum/post/14323788

Just curious--do people buy their RG-6 coax online or locally? My local options are limited to the usual suspects--in this case Lowe's, Home Depot, CC, BB, etc. and I don't always feel like I'm getting that good of a deal at some of those places.

I was recently in Lowe's asking about bulk cable, and the guy that showed up when I pressed the button ("Help needed in the wire cutting area...help needed in the wire cutting area.") gave me a completely wrong explanation of the cable types they had for sale. I decided not to debate with him about it, and ended up just walking out...this was the same store, oddly enough, where a person told me that antennas wouldn't work after Feb. 09.

Which online vendors are good, cheap, or good and cheap? Shipping seems to be the great equalizer...

Are you speaking of "bulk cable" or 3", 6", 10" etc pre-made lengths as many of the stores you listed above do not sell bulk cable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/14324715

Are you speaking of "bulk cable" or 3", 6", 10" etc pre-made lengths as many of the stores you listed above do not sell bulk cable.

I was speaking of both, essentially. Lowe's and Home Depot both sell bulk; the other 2 don't, as far as I know. But they might sell pre-made lengths close to what I need (100 feet), so I included them...not sure. Was just looking for what others do, and where they shop online.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio /forum/post/14325016

RG-11 would be better for OTA performance. Less lossy. May have to buy it online though.

You're right, of course. But all my tools/spare parts are for RG-6 connectors, and I'm sure the difference in performance won't be enough to warrant using RG-11. I'm just replacing an old antenna for my mother-in-laws old analog TV; its not a HD setup.

I'm probably going to splurge on the quad shield, though

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by folksnake /forum/post/14325086

You're right, of course. But all my tools/spare parts are for RG-6 connectors, and I'm sure the difference in performance won't be enough to warrant using RG-11. I'm just replacing an old antenna for my mother-in-laws old analog TV; its not a HD setup.

Wal-Mart sells a good RG-6 cable with end fittings in various lengths, incl. 100' if I remember correctly.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by folksnake /forum/post/14324772

I was speaking of both, essentially. Lowe's and Home Depot both sell bulk; the other 2 don't, as far as I know. But they might sell pre-made lengths close to what I need (100 feet), so I included them...not sure. Was just looking for what others do, and where they shop online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folksnake /forum/post/14325086

You're right, of course. But all my tools/spare parts are for RG-6 connectors...

Now that we have a clear definition of exactly what you are really looking to do:

1) The pre-made RG6 with connectors you can purchase from HD, Lowes, CC, BB and others listed generally crappy in quality. Pass on them.

2) Ignore Post #2 above - as Monoprice doesn't do bulk cable.

3) With the price of material (especially copper) on a tear, as witnessed by thieves stealing anything copper they can get their hands on, including cables, the price of cable is alsosoaring. Buy much more now than you need as the prices are continuing to go up. Bulk RG6 has risen roughly 25% in the last year.

4) Get a 500 or 1000 ft box of good quality Comscope or Belden RG6. You stated you would probably get Quad RG6, but I might suggest you look at Belden TriShield RG6 (7915A). It works better, in my opinion and those of others, in most environments due to the way it is constructed, which gives it superior high frequency shielding compared to Quad, such as the Belden 1189A, which is sweep tested to 1GHz, while the TriShield is sweep tested to 3Ghz. Sure, thats well out of range of anything that involves OTA TV, but it does assure you that something is very good up there for the future. There was a thread on it a year or so ago here if you want to search for it. It can also be used with standard RG6 connectors. You can find where its available through froogle or other internet search engines.

5) Make sure you do a good job on the connectors. Though compression connectors are the standard now (and I use them as well), some are moving away from them because of the the few number of strands that actually make the connection with a compression connection. Again, make sure you have the right tools and check everything before you finalize anything.

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
1) for 100 ft or less, coax from Home Depot or Lowes is fine for the Mother-in-law.

2) Monoprice does sell bulk RG6
http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ord=rg6%20coax

3) nice point, but nothing to do with the OP's question.

4) good cable... but maybe 500-1000' feet of Belden is more than he/she needs.

5) Agreed... do a good job on the connectors and weather-proof any outdoor fittings.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/14326214

1) for 100 ft or less, coax from Home Depot or Lowes is fine for the Mother-in-law.

Have you actually ever cut the RG6 sold there and looked at it? I have and I would never use it. Each to their own.

Quote:

2) Monoprice does sell bulk RG6
http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ord=rg6%20coax

Interesting. I ran a search for RG6 before I posted and it did not show up. As the expected ETA is 7/18/2008 and its now 7/19/2008, I wonder if the database was being updated.

I'd however would like to know the brand and the true testing specs (is this just specs thrown in from someplace in China?) of what I am buying. But I agree with you, according to the link provided, they do sell Bulk.

Quote:

3) nice point, but nothing to do with the OP's question.

As the OP has RG6 tools, then it goes to the fact that he will most likely need RG6 in the future. Very few people buy tools for a 1 time use.

Quote:

4) good cable... but maybe 500-1000' feet of Belden is more than he/she needs.

See above

Quote:

5) Agreed... do a good job on the connectors and weather-proof any outdoor fittings.

The connectors on the HD, Lowes et al cable you recommended are the worse for outdoor use. Water leakage galore.

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
Whatever... My neighbor and I bought a 500' spool of RG6/U from Home Depot. Ran 5 drops in his home (basement, living room, two bedrooms/2nd floor, and one on the 3 floor dormer two years ago. So yeah... I have cut it and looked at it. No "leakage" and no problems yet. I guess good weather proofing is the trick.

With the "excess"... I've used it in my own home and both of my sons homes. Probably have about 25' left. No problems yet.

If one has a major concern about the "connectors" on pre-terminated coax cables, then one can always snip the connectors and add new, if cost justifiable. Again... if you seal/boot the the outdoor connector properly, it's not a big issue IMO.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/14326582

Whatever... My neighbor and I bought a 500' spool of RG6/U from Home Depot. Ran 5 drops in his home (basement, living room, two bedrooms/2nd floor, and one on the 3 floor dormer two years ago. So yeah... I have cut it and looked at it. No "leakage" and no problems yet. I guess good weather proofing is the trick.

With the "excess"... I've used it in my own home and both of my sons homes. Probably have about 25' left. No problems yet.

If one has a major concern about the "connectors" on pre-terminated coax cables, then one can always snip the connectors and add new, if cost justifiable. Again... if you seal/boot the the outdoor connector properly, it's not a big issue IMO.

My reference was to the RCA and other brand sold at HD - in 3", 6" and 10" lengths - as I also referred to those in my above post in #1. Cut those and look at them. Try and put a new connector on them - you'll find the braid is often a few strands and virtually impossible to change connectors. It's literally the cheapest crap you can call RG6.

On bulk, you clearly are in better shape as you put on better connectors. However, what Home Depot sold 2 years ago in-store may well be from a different supplier and have different specs than what you buy today or next month. That is the issue. You never know exactly what it is besides RG6.

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
The OP doesn't require 3, 6 or 10 lengths. IF that was a requirement, then at those lengths, it should be MORE than adequate for his mother-in-law. Be that as it may, I don't see what the issue is here.

RG6/U today is the same as 2 years ago. The "specs" are the same. The only potential for problems are probably due to hasty/improper termination(s).

I wonder how many individuals are this critical about the coax that is used in their homes with 3rd party contractors for satellite/cable installs?

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Ive 50ft Philips branded Quad Shield from Walmart. shrugs

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I purchased 100FT of RG-6 Carol cable from Home depot for $14.99 before hearing of the better quality cables offered by Belden. I installed my own RS cheap crimp connectors.(Very easy to work with) My reception is "excellent"; even with 2 FM stations (75kw and 50kw) less than 1/2 mile away. I've toyed with the idea of replacing it with excellent Belden 7915A, but I don't see how there is that much room for improvement. I'm already getting better results than one of the local antenna techs that installs MATV systems on high rises here. I didn't even use my crimping tool when I put the ends on.(Couldn't find it so I used pliers-Yikes!!)

Oh, BTW; RG-11 is overkill for 100Ft or less

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Im not familiar with this online business, but they are offering shorter length Belden 7915A cables in different sizes with Paladin connectors pre installed, for decent prices.

I might get some myself.

Look towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.broadbandutopia.com/belden7915a.html

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity /forum/post/14327358

Im not familiar with this online business, but they are offering shorter length Belden 7915A cables in different sizes with Paladin connectors pre installed, for decent prices.

I might get some myself.

Look towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.broadbandutopia.com/belden7915a.html

Those prices looked very reasonable for consumer purchase of quality cable and pre-installed connectors.

I have found that when I had to try to put new connectors on Radio Shack or home improvement store preconnectorized coax, that the braid coverage was incredibly thin. Even though some of these products may be better than others, the consumer will usually have no way of knowing which ones are of better quality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is great! Thanks to everyone who has posted an idea. I even learned a new word--preconnectorized (in fact, I may have witnessed its coinage!).

Thanks again. Lots to think about.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Dont forget the Belden 7195A is solid copper core.....NOT copper plated steel like some others.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts