Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Chris,

Someone posted this link once: http://www.activethermal.com/

I haven't tried any of their products so I can't comment on them. The other approach you can do which is something that I did with my equipment cabinet and is also something that the whisperflow uses:

1) Get a 12VDC computer fan, I think that Fry's has some 29db versions that are double ball bearing and then

2) hook them up to an adjustable voltage transformer.

If the transformer runs at say 6V instead of 12V, the fan will spin more slowly and make less noise but will also move less air. If you experiment, you can probably find a good compromise that will move the minimum needed amount of air and also be relatively quiet.

Let me know if you find something better that isn't described here.

-Mark

------------------

Behold the Power of Cheese!!

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Oh yeah and one last thing. Don't bother with the 120V AC "muffin" computer fans, those things move a lot of air but are incredibly noisy. I would definitely only go the 12VDC fan route.

------------------

Behold the Power of Cheese!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
A liitle off topic, but I want to use a computer fan in a projetor hush box as well as my equipment cabinet. Are there sources or brands of computer fans (hopefully larger ones) that are silent as possible?

This may be the wrong forum, so I'll also post it over in projectors.

regards,

chris

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 08-21-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.