AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been out of the loop for awhile but just started construction on a new HT (converting the garage). It will soon be time to dust off the old 9500LC and hang it up once again and I'm starting to think about how to drive video to it.

Last time I had it up, I used an HTPC. The HTPC was driving RGBHV to the PJ and audio to the preamp. I also had a sat receiver with RGB out that I wired directly to the PJ so that I used both inputs of the Marquee.

Here's what I would like to source now; DVD, cable/sat, Bluray, HD-DVD (still got some red ones). Does it still make sense to go with an HTPC or should I just let my future preamp switch all of the digital video sources and drive digital to the PJ?

The thing I *really* liked about the HTPC is that I had total control over the video timing. Anything coming through the HTPC would alwys look the same to the PJ as far as timing goes. That was nice not having to manage different memories on the PJ. I'm afraid that if the preamp/receiver becomes the video switch, I'll have to deal with all kinds of different timing/phase from each source.

Any thoughts? What do you guys do?

Thanks guys,

Cary

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm /forum/post/17012961

Last time I had it up, I used an HTPC. The HTPC was driving RGBHV to the PJ and audio to the preamp. I also had a sat receiver with RGB out that I wired directly to the PJ so that I used both inputs of the Marquee.

that brings back some memory's. Big clunky keyboards, theatre tek software, logging in and "booting" my PC and launching the player software. Boy that really sucked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm /forum/post/17012961

Here's what I would like to source now; DVD, cable/sat, Bluray, HD-DVD (still got some red ones). Does it still make sense to go with an HTPC or should I just let my future preamp switch all of the digital video sources and drive digital to the PJ?

If I was running all that stuff I would get a scaler. You can get a used Lumagen HDP for about $700. or a new one for $1200.?

Run all your soucres to it, then HDMI to the Marquee and into the new Moome Full HD card. Scaler + card will be $1100. but worth it for total control of porches, timings etc. and only having one channel(re-call memory) on the PJ, not 5 or 6.

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
Hi Cary,

I was recently in a situation similar to yours. I fell out of the loop for a while and acquired an 8500 in fairly decent shape wanting to go full swing into the HD world. I intended at the time to use a HTPC equipped with a BluRay player and a HD OTA tuner. I did get the system up and running and it looked great. The downfall for me was a problem with SPDIF pass through with the BluRay audio. I became frustrated and retired the HTPC in exchange for the simplicity of a set top HD tuner and a Sony BDP-550 (analog outputs, solved my audio woes).

HD [email protected] 1080i

(HDMI Switch) ---> HDFURY2 ----> Electrohome 8500.

Sony BDP-550 @1080i

No timing or phase problems.

John

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Yup, same deal on the HTPC. Theatertek, FFDshow, powerstrip. It works, but it was it's own full-time hobby.

Does the Lumagen allow you to adjust timing and front/back porches for both vertical and horizontal? Does it scale/re-time all inputs to the same output timing? If so, I think I'm done here.

Cary

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm /forum/post/17013865

Thanks guys!

Yup, same deal on the HTPC. Theatertek, FFDshow, powerstrip. It works, but it was it's own full-time hobby.

Does the Lumagen allow you to adjust timing and front/back porches for both vertical and horizontal? Does it scale/re-time all inputs to the same output timing? If so, I think I'm done here.

Cary

The Lumagens are awesome, only thing is if you want to do full 1080p out via the RGBHV's you cant, you need an HDCP helping device or a Moome Internal HDMI card, I have one fore sale if intrested.

But he Moome and Lumagen are great together. You can have 11 point Gamma control for each IRE and also color management controls for each color at each IRE. timmings are not an issue and it can do [email protected] for Blu ray movies with any custom timings you want, 4 memories blocks per input as well, Awesome!!!

Athanasios

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/17013934

You can have 11 point Gamma control for each IRE and also color management controls for each color at each IRE. Athanasios

Does this mean you don't have to de-focus the blue tube , you can just eliminate the hump with the Scaler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/17013934

timings are not an issue and it can do [email protected] for Blu ray movies with any custom timings you want, 4 memories blocks per input as well, Awesome!!!

Athanasios

Cary in case your wondering, 800P for 2.35 constant image height screen AR

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 /forum/post/17014338

That's a great question and I would like to know as well.
I don't have a Lumagen but my VP50 has gamma adjustments so now I'm curious.

Gary Murell says he does it but in reality it doesnt work that well, tried it. Defocusing the blue does it much, much ,much ,much better. then you can touch it up with the scalr if you want.

Athanasios

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/17014169

Does this mean you don't have to de-focus the blue tube , you can just eliminate the hump with the Scaler?

Cary in case your wondering, 800P for 2.35 constant image height screen AR

Yes, thank you, I definitely WAS wondering. "Why would I want to do 800p?"

Well, this might be better served in another thread, but I plan to do a 16:9 constant-height screen. What's the sweet spot resolution for a 9500LC? Wouldn't I just shoot for 1080p?

Cary

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm /forum/post/17014569

Yes, thank you, I definitely WAS wondering. "Why would I want to do 800p?"

Well, this might be better served in another thread, but I plan to do a 16:9 constant-height screen. What's the sweet spot resolution for a 9500LC? Wouldn't I just shoot for 1080p?

Cary

Actually for CRT its best to have a CIW, constant image width and a 16x9 screen is just right. And 1080p will be for 16x9 sources and i would use 800p for the 2.35/2.40 movies to free up the bandwidth and the ability to output the refresh rate at 3 times 24p or the 72HZ, for 1080p the lumagen via the DVI out will not handle [email protected] so either [email protected] or [email protected] like i use.

Another Question? How long have you had the PJ in storage? Check the LC chambers for any Glycol leaks before you Fire up the PJ. you dont want any damage to happen to the tubes if glycol leaked out onto the electronics.

Athanasios

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm /forum/post/17014569

Well, this might be better served in another thread, but I plan to do a 16:9 constant-height screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/17014658

Actually for CRT its best to have a CIW, constant image width and a 16x9 screen is just right. Athanasios

you guys are both wrong
16:9 is niether constant height or width. both change for 2.35 or 4:3 content. I do think 16:9 is the best compromoise for HT although there's at least 3 local guys who run 4:3 (yuk) because they think it's bigger. Trouble is it's only bigger for TV, most movies they put on are horribly stretched vertically. they dont seem to mind

BTW, with 2.35 CIH where does the captioning go? I was just watching the International with Clive Owne on BD and when they translated the French or Italian part of the Captioning was into the letterboxing on my 16:9 screen. I was thinking that with 2.35 CIH this woud be chopped off no?

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Athanasios!

Oops, I was wrong - I meant constant width. I have an 80" wide screen and kept 16:9 and 2.35 material at the full width. 4:3 stuff is at the full height with no image on the sides.

In my HTPC days, 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 material was output at the same resolution. Unused image area was just that, unused and output as black. I understand the Lumagen outputting [email protected] for 1.85:1 material, but I don't understand what's happening for the 2.35:1. Couldn't the Lumagen still output [email protected] but add black bars top and bottom for the unused image area?

This may sound odd, but I've been storing the 9500LC in the master bedroom
I threw a blanket over it so it's become part of the decor. My fiance grumbled about it quite a bit but I explained to her the need to try and keep the temperature fluctuations to a minimum. She's been pretty understanding in that regard.

It's been about 3 years since I've fired it up so I'm worried about the battery on the CLM but other than that, it should be good to go.

Cary

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Drags I dont even consider 1.33 anymore, so to me its CIW

Nashou

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
A PC is still the best source.

RGBHV out to the projector. 8 x analogue out to the poweramps.

Big media library stored onboard, or on network.

Custom timings and gamma.

Nice front end if you like (XBMC for example).

Done.

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Mark,

Thanks for throwing in for the HTPC.

Are there audio cards that will decode the new HD formats?

What about capturing other HD sources? Can I do that? (using the PC as the video switcher)

Cary

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
I didn't realize how far HTPC equipment has come along since the days of tinkering with MyHD. It appears my audio problems would be over too. I may have to take another shot at HTPC. Thanks for sparking my interest again.

Here's a link to the audio cards that decode the HD formats....or maybe I'm wrong and they only pass them through HDMI? I'll have to read a little more.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9742#NextSound

·
Registered
8,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm /forum/post/17015586

Hey Mark,

Thanks for throwing in for the HTPC.

Are there audio cards that will decode the new HD formats?

What about capturing other HD sources? Can I do that? (using the PC as the video switcher)

Cary

1. The soundcard doesn't decode anything. The CPU decodes the audio format to PCM.

Or, in the case of bitstreaming of TrueHD or DTS-MA a HDMI equipped Xonar card can pass these signals over HDMI (only when using the bundled version of Arcsuck TMT).

A HTPC works best if you convert your bluray discs to mkv files and store them in a library. Then you get gamma and lossless sound intact (via HDMI or analogue).

Also, Ati 4xxx graphics cards can pass 24bit 8 channel audio via HDMI along with the video signal - you may not need a soundcard.

2. I record Aussie 1080i HDTV using three DVB-T tuner cards. But I have no idea how it all works in the US. But I would not use a PC as a video switcher. If you need that, get a scaler/VP.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I still say a VP is easier to use. But what the hell do I know.

Nashou

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, how about this. What offers the best image quality?

Assume that the projector had an HDMI input (since they are available for the Marquees). What offers the best image quality, an HTPC or a VP (Lumagen HDP for example)?

Not trying to start a war or anything. I know I was able to get stellar quality from my old HTPC. At the time, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find an off-the-shelf piece of hardware to beat it. But it came at a cost of time invested. Could a VP get me most of the way there with being easy to use?

Cary

1 - 20 of 28 Posts