AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 810 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
I took a video from outside your place when some serious rattling was happening. Can't figure out how to upload it here though.....it's a big file
Yeah at the temps we had I wasnt wanting to crack anything. I probally would have been fine but you never know. It gets pretty violent out there

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yeah at the temps we had I wasnt wanting to crack anything. I probally would have been fine but you never know. It gets pretty violent out there

I bet it helps to “knock” the snow off your home! Well at least your garage!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
It's funny I was going to watch the Hans Zimmerman atmos blu ray I just got but was nervous because of how cold it was and how hard the siding slaps from all the bass.
Just do it! The Inception medley at the end is just great. The whole disc is very good.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I asked Jared on Saturday if he used the Harman target curve in setting the bass response. I think his response was "yeah, something like that."

Harman target curve:

Forget the Harman target curve, we'll just call it the Jared target curve.

Well, I just meant that my curve does go up below 80hz. I didn’t say how much
I definitely prefer the added impact of lots of bass. Especially the 15-25hz stuff.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well, I just meant that my curve does go up below 80hz. I didn’t say how much
I definitely prefer the added impact of lots of bass. Especially the 15-25hz stuff.
I knew what you meant. I'm the one who mentioned the Harman curve. I just thought it was funny when I looked up the Harman curve today and saw such a dramatic difference. I don't think the Jared curve would work for me because I listen to too much music but more power to you if you guys can get that much clean bass. I would need to be able to switch it off for music. I've been adding Bass EQ for movies which boosts the low stuff. I can add it for a specific movie in a few minutes using Jriver. Dynamic EQ is a quick way to switch on more bass but it doesn't do anything at reference.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Heheheh... have you seen the @eng-399curve

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Those curves are fun and all for demos, but I personally couldn't live with them for actually watching stuff. The Harman target curve (or something similar) is more my speed.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Those curves are fun and all for demos, but I personally couldn't live with them for actually watching stuff. The Harman target curve (or something similar) is more my speed.

Mine is setup right where I want it. For everything. Demos, daily watching, music. I like to set it to where I never have to worry about clipping the signal anywhere with any content as loud as I’ll ever listen, and so the bass isn’t drowning out the rest of the sound. I like it where it is. Once I turn it to -6 or -4, wherever the particular movie needs to be (sometimes reference) the balance is good in my opinion.
Long story short, I don’t change any settings ever for demos, GTGs, or watching with my family. Not saying it’s right or wrong.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I took a video from outside your place when some serious rattling was happening. Can't figure out how to upload it here though.....it's a big file
Simple:
Enable wifi, youtube app, upload. Past url here.
Plug battery into wall if you think it will drain before finishing.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I'm farther north than most of you guys and it's actually warmer here in the pacific NW. The 5000-10,000ft mountains actually block most of the nasty polar vortex's, it also blocks the rain and thus snow. It's a partial desert for most of the year. I'm 1300ft above sea-level here, and was actually watering the lawn in a plain t-shirt the other day. :p :p :p You central-time plains/plateau people get some of the nastiest weather on earth, winds directly from the north pole and extended winters etc. I couldn't imagine living where you guys live. It's far too cold! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've been adding Bass EQ for movies which boosts the low stuff. I can add it for a specific movie in a few minutes using Jriver. Dynamic EQ is a quick way to switch on more bass. For music...
As the cone-quantity increases, you naturally get more bass boost. It's like having Bass EQ turned on for everything, you actually have to tame the bass if you want it less hot.

Mine is setup right where I want it. For everything. Demos, daily watching, music. I like to set it to where I never have to worry about clipping the signal anywhere with any content as loud as I’ll ever listen, and so the bass isn’t drowning out the rest of the sound. I like it where it is. Once I turn it to -6 or -4, wherever the particular movie needs to be (sometimes reference) the balance is good in my opinion.
Long story short, I don’t change any settings ever for demos, GTGs, or watching with my family.
Same. I have it to a particular setting, and never change it, unless the movie has a weak LFE track or weak center or weak surrounds mix etc.

I watched "War for the Planet of the Apes" during the Christmas break at 15db over THX, and the end war scene, it was like being raped. Everyone loved it. I didn't have a whole lot of time to dial in all the new settings optimally, so at some points I was wondering if my subs were going to survive with all the recently added new power. Luckily they did.

Unfortunately I don't have an all-speakers full-range sweep so this will have to do.

I've had no opportunity to optimize my EQ just yet. No FIR impulse convolver, no nothing. Not even proper delay and levels just yet.

But to help with the music, my LCR's are kept flat.
The subs aren't hot here, just naturally louder from all the cone-area. (Not max SPL, just a comfortable sweep level.)

Ignore the center channel bass below 5hz, that's a mic anomaly. It's the same as the L/R, no magic.
Once I re-do my botched HzHorn box, and add a 2nd one, I believe the 2 suckouts in the mid-bass will vanish. What happened was that the LMS-18 on day-1 ripped apart the glue on one of the inner panels/braces, because I stupidly used a glue-only design on that prototype box, and not even PL either. The panel resonance is out of phase, that's my theory anyway. It's now firewood and will be using screws and PL next round. Promise! :p

Until I sent a few kW to the horn sub, it was fine though...

There is also a panel warp on my SAB-24 box that I have to fix still, causing an air leak. Didn't know until I mounted it and powered it up. Not sure how to lift out a 150lbs driver with only finger tips, might have to flip the box upside down and let gravity do it, hopefully without it crushing a limb in the process.

But once I fix those two things the SPL and THD should improve further.
It is on the to-do list for this summer.

If I quit my job, I may even be able to host GTG's, like a normal human for once!
(or at least... live like a regular abnormal-basshead recluse. Whichever is better. hehe! :p)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Yeah I know how to upload....but was trying to just do it here.
vBulletin, or whatever it is that powers this site, simply doesn't have the horsepower.

Youtube (google) has zillions of Yottabytes of diskspace and their internet connection is Yottabytes per second. They literally have thousands of warehouse-sized computers and power plants running them, just so that we can share videos for free.

Rows and rows, as far as the eye can see.

and that's just 1 of thousands of warehouses, all over the planet.

The youtube button is no "regular" button. There is more to it than pretty button-pixels.
For starters, Google Search has a direct white-house national-security mandate, AVS sure doesn't. Google and Youtube are far from your "normal/everyday" website pixels.
You asked, and now you ACTUALLY know... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
As the cone-quantity increases, you naturally get more bass boost. It's like having Bass EQ turned on for everything, you actually have to tame the bass if you want it less hot.
When I mentioned Bass EQ, I was referring to the specific adjustments per movie in the thread of that name. Interestingly, the one time I thought it didn't work so well was in a movie where the entire soundtrack was music and the boosted ULF made the bass sound a bit bloated. It's one thing if the sound engineers filtered out the ULF from explosions and crashes and it's something different if you are just adding ULF to music that never had any ULF to begin with. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2995212-bass-eq-filtered-movies.html

I'm not doing too poorly in the cone quantity department with 8 x 15", 2 x 18", and 4 x 12", but that collection leaves me seriously lagging in the SEMI ULF Bass Wars of 2019. I have 4 PA460s in house that current plans call for using in a center channel midbass dipole panel from 80Hz to 300Hz. Should be an interesting experiment.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
I hope you get input on this. I’m too close to the situation to give my opinion. The rooms are different, and it’s not easy to compare without having them side by side.
I will say I love them both.
Same here with being to close to the situation but I agree they both sound amazing.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I’m a little bias here since I own the QSCs.
Pros for both both sound amazing very detailed, when glass breaks you here every little piece shatter
Bain’s voice in Dark Knight Rises sounds incredible on both speakers which is hard to do
If you have ever listen to Smaug’s voice in the Hobbit, man it is incredible on these and you will not hear it that good on most speakers.
The Titans are readily available and lots of support on the build process
The QSCs are midbass monsters
Mike’s and Jared’s are as well with the dual 15s.
QSCs are warm sounding at reference levels
Titans are a little brighter (not a con) and not ear piercing just brighter

Cons
QSCs you have build a baffle wall to get the midbass and smoothness out of them.
No longer supported through QSC
Can find a con for the Titans.

Either way you can not go wrong but as I said the Titans can be purchased through DIYSG and the support Erich will give you is amazing.

Well this is my opinion and I am sure there are people than may disagree but that’s okay.

Duane

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
I’m a little bias here since I own the QSCs.
Pros for both both sound amazing very detailed, when glass breaks you here every little piece shatter
Bain’s voice in Dark Knight Rises sounds incredible on both speakers which is hard to do
If you have ever listen to Smaug’s voice in the Hobbit, man it is incredible on these and you will not hear it that good on most speakers.
The Titans are readily available and lots of support on the build process
The QSCs are midbass monsters
Mike’s and Jared’s are as well with the dual 15s.
QSCs are warm sounding at reference levels
Titans are a little brighter (not a con) and not ear piercing just brighter

Cons
QSCs you have build a baffle wall to get the midbass and smoothness out of them.
No longer supported through QSC
Can find a con for the Titans.

Either way you can not go wrong but as I said the Titans can be purchased through DIYSG and the support Erich will give you is amazing.

Well this is my opinion and I am sure there are people than may disagree but that’s okay.

Duane

You can still buy parts from them. There are other sellers of them they go for like 1200 a piece

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You can still buy parts from them. There are other sellers of them they go for like 1200 a piece

The woofers are no longer available and and so are a few other parts and yes you can buy them from other suppliers all I was saying is that it is not as easy as buying from DIYSG.

701 - 720 of 810 Posts