AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am going to be closing on a new home in the next few weeks and it currently has a home theater but not a fan of the design the guy had. For one it was painted in LSU colors, yuck, and not a fan of the layout so planning to do it again. I've been watching a few of the other threads and noticed people are using OSB between the studs and the drywall and thought it was a cool concept but have a questions.

1. Living in the south with humidity and other issues how are people preventing the OSB from getting moist with these conditions? Are people wrapping the studs with a barrier prior to putting up the OSB?
  2. Can this be done on an exterior wall with concrete? Any treatments or special handling for these types of walls?
  3. Does the OSB/DW setup cut back on noise? Would I still need a decent sound proof insulation or could I cut back to the typical stuff?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,413 Posts
We see a lot of two layer walls with OSB as the first layer when using a clips and channel system not so much when walls are screwed directly to the studs. The purpose of the OSB is to provide a continuous foundation for attaching ceiling and wall finishing details without attaching directly to the studs. Both OSB and drywall are susceptible to water damage, you keep it out starting at the outside of the house. Wrapping studs? save that comment for next Tuesday.

As homework read the articles on soundproofing at Soundproofingcompany.com. Insulation is important but don't be led to believe it is a solution for your soundproofing needs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1524878/southern-ht-osb-dw-question#post_24545287

We see a lot of two layer walls with OSB as the first layer when using a clips and channel system not so much when walls are screwed directly to the studs. The purpose of the OSB is to provide a continuous foundation for attaching ceiling and wall finishing details without attaching directly to the studs. Both OSB and drywall are susceptible to water damage, you keep it out starting at the outside of the house. Wrapping studs? save that comment for next Tuesday.

As homework read the articles on soundproofing at Soundproofingcompany.com. Insulation is important but don't be led to believe it is a solution for your soundproofing needs.

I've read a few articles at the website recommended and learned a bit.

In theory since this is in a basement and there is a foundation wall and there is currently (and will be in the future) that would be considered the second wall?

I see the principal behind the clips and the OSB would install on top of the studs with the clip system?

The the drywall would be adhered to the OSB with green glue and drywall screws?

My comment around the wrapping would be if anyone was putting a barrier over the insulation to keep moisture out. I've read that using a XPS rigid foam board between the concrete wall stud is the best next to spray foam. Would I be wrong in that assumption based on reading?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts