AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is what happens a Cinephile and Star Trek nerd get married.  You get a dedicated theater in the basement, based on a Star Trek theme.  I really want a home theater in the house, and the wife really wants to decorate the basement with Sci-fi stuff.  The compromise is: we will build a theater that looks like the bridge of the Enterprise-E!  Any TNG movie fans on this forum? Maybe?

So I bought a new construction home last year, and I had the builder put in 9' foot ceilings in the basement.  I was already planning to put a theater in the unfinished basement before I moved in, but I didn't plan well enough, and some bathroom plumbing rough-ins where in my way for the best theater design. I've since got that plumbing moved so I can still have a bathroom nearby, but now I'm working with a 15' x 21' x 9' space for the theater, plus a small closet for the equipment in the back.  The plan is to make the color scheme, lighting, columns, and general decorations match that of the Enterprise-E Sovereign-Class bridge (from First Contact/Insurrection).  Also, where the name of the theater comes from.

The design is credited to WarrenP.  I've started construction of the space already, and I have all the framing and most of the initial electrical work done.  I am in the midst of getting the electrical and building inspections soon.

Room Details:

• 15’ W x 21’ L x 9’ H

• Located in basement, with poured concrete foundation on two of the walls.

• Two transom windows covered by the walls

• Equipment closet/nook: 2’ 9” W x 6’ 6” L in back corner

• 14” x 7’ Riser

• Screenwall 2’ 3” from front wall

• 14” stage, trapezoid shaped around screen.

• 2 rows of 4 recliner seats (probably middle loveseat)

Construction Details:

• 2x4 walls with studs 24” on center, clipped to concrete or joists.

• Double ⅝ drywall with Green glue

• Ceiling on clips and channel

• 15” W x 8” H soffit on three walls of the room

• Screenwall soffit 4’ deep in center to hold ceiling cassette Mini-split

• 6 columns; 4 of which have speakers.

• Fabric covered frames on walls

• Carpeted floor

Lighting:

• LED light boxes in soffits, and columns.  

• One large light fixture in room center.

• Blue led riser lights

• All lighting controlled with Insteon/Cinemar

• Lighting fixtures custom made to look like the Enterprise-E Bridge. Still working on the detailed design of the lights, but have a general idea.

• Some of the lights will be also wired to a DMX to USB controller, for the hopeful use future lighting feedback in video games.

Gear:

• Projector: JVC DLA-X35B, mounted on ceiling above the 2nd row (about 17’ throw)

• Screen: 2.35:1, 120” wide AT Screen

• Speakers:  Klipsch RF-62 II x3, RS-51 x2 side surrounds.  Need to get something for rear surrounds, either RS-51’s or RB-41s

• Subs: BIC PL-200 x2

• AVR:  Denon AVR-X4000

• Home Built HTPC will be source and control everything, using Cinemar ML

Here's a shot of the Enterprise bridge from First Contact for reference:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here's a photo update on my theater.  Its been a month and half and so far things have progressed smoothly.  I finished the electrical rough-in and sub-panel, passed electrical and framing inspections, insulated the walls against the foundation and ceiling, and put up the clips and hat channel on the ceiling.  My BIL was in town for a month, and between him and a drywall jack, we knocked out hanging two layers of drywall (with GG) in just a couple weekends.  

Drywall hanging done:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Planning to put some blue lighting under the riser lip to mirror the E bridge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutspeeder  /t/1523391/sovereign-theater#post_24505553

Here's a shot of the Enterprise bridge from First Contact for reference:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotech  /t/1523391/sovereign-theater#post_24689533

Planning to put some blue lighting under the riser lip to mirror the E bridge?
Yes, I do plan to run blue lighting there.  I was thinking I would overhang the riser by at least 2", put MDF on the front face of the riser and paint it, and run a led strip underneath.  The carpet could go over the lip and be stapled underneath.  The carpet on the lower level could just run under the MDF.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts