AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of Soylent Green being released in DVD. I think it would make a very nice SB if the masters are in good shape. A good movie IMHO.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Soylent Green was one of the first movies to include what the greenhouse effect would be like. The first book on environment disasters was called was called "Silent Spring" in 1961 by a woman author. She was the one that her book went into the high stratosphere of what the world was doing to it self. Her book on when everything went silent in the spring was because of animals being killed by liquid wastes pouring out of companies during the winter while hibernating or living on the acid rain leaves. She was or is a woman of vision, somewhat like Madame Currie (Cure A) who came up with the identification of Radium.

I just ordered "The Legend of Hell House"

remastered to 4.0 Dolby Pro-logic which my device operates on in headphones. The Dogs of War is on it's way.

Now I am in for it, if we could only find a cheaper way that Turners company to 'colorize' movies like The Day The Earth Stood Still and all the movies made in black and white in Sci-Fi my favorite genre.

I would be happy as a lark and into a buying craze like never before get rid of all my Vhs movies and get all new colorized with Dolby Surround to be used with magic carpet in sound I put together. I wouldn't care if I remained crippled the rest of my life I like movies that much!:)

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Soylent Green is a MGM property and not Sony. So how could it be a superbit DVD? Did Sony acquire the distribution rights?:confused:

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The Super-Bit business is something that ANY authoring house can do and isn't something that Sony has an exclusive patent on.

In other words, any DVD transfer can be SB's regardless of what movie studio is doing it so long as the bit rate is kept as high as possible throughout the whole video transferring process.

A well done, anomorphically enhanced, no EE, DVD transfer of Soylent Green will do for me, but a SB'd version would also be much welcomed!... :)

-THTS

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank J Manrique
The Super-Bit business is something that ANY authoring house can do and isn't something that Sony has an exclusive patent on.

In other words, any DVD transfer can be SB's regardless of what movie studio is doing it so long as the bit rate is kept as high as possible throughout the whole video transferring process.

A well done, anomorphically enhanced, no EE, DVD transfer of Soylent Green will do for me, but a SB'd version would also be much welcomed!... :)

-THTS
SuperBit is a Sony trade mark and no other studio may use the name. Of course another studio might call a similar process Maxibit,:eek: (sounds like a tampon), HiBit, FullBit, or whatever except SuperBit.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
William,

Okay...so Sony has Trade Mark cliams for the "Super-Bit" moniker.

I think by now the great majority of AVS readers are well aware of that, so it is easier to use SB rather than calling it something else when we make references to the high bit rate process, but you're right: it is their "property." There...feel better now? :D

-THTS

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I hope your request for my personal information in private message satisfied your curiosity. I agree with you in that Sony should not be the only one to boast of the superbit. It won't be long till everybody has I can't wait for that to happen, but then I am a true audiophile, not necessary a videophile like william apparently is lol:)

·
Registered
912 Posts
I actually have never seen this flick, but according to my Dad, it's the worst movie he has ever seen.

OUT

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Soylent Green is a classic and I will take any decent transfer that beats the LD. Edward G's last movie and he goes out in a blaze.

John Moschella

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Quote:
Edward G's last movie and he goes out in a blaze.
John,

Huh? Did we see the same movie??? Or maybe you are making a joke out of his post mortem er, treatment? "Soylent Green is ******!" ;) I would much rather see The Omega Man.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Why not ask for both of them, I have both in the vhs format I'll take that Edward G. in a blaze of orange with the beautiful clear streams and deer while he was dying.

His body was to be made into the food that manufacturer name Soylent who made the green wafers from dead people. So in the end the 'police book' turned green and became a wafer for the living to eat.

The Omega man featuring Charleton Heston versus the news guy Anthony Zerbe who didn't get the injection of the antidote. Instead of getting better he turned into a white faced lunatic, whose progamming was changed like in the movie "5 Million Years to Earth" to kill off what is not in the fixed society, only the mutants thought like the 'borg' that they were on a way to perfection by snuffing out dead beats that go and watch the same movie enough to be able to lip synch it. Then drive like a maniac before the 'wired news crew' came to get his a** and burn him to the stake. Instead they pulled a 'dracula' by thowing a spear into the poor guy who ended up in a fountain collecting his immune blood for non perfect friends he had made while at a un-scheduled light show at a stadium.

Did I miss anything Larry or John? lol

BTW Guys I just screened "The Dogs of War"

1.85:1 W.S. no problems, they also gave it a 4.0 Dolby Pro-Logic Surround the type my headphone decoder takes stars a younger Christopher Walken and Tom Berenger.

What a war zone and that neato revolving chome plated shot gun shell type of ammunition that was actually a grenade launcher, I wonder it that piece of weaponry really existed, and Santa if it did can I have one to play with lol

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
While we are at it, why not throw in Planet of the Apes and go for the Heston SciFi trifecta box set. I'd be up for that.

Larry, I was just referring to Edward G's performance which I thought was touching. Considering he died (in real life) shortly after filming, this was a great way for an actor to go out. In retrospect, a bad choice of adjectives.

John Moschella

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.