AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance on the terminology - I hooked up my new 4805 last night, watched a few minutes of SD cable (CBS - some cop show, while I hooked up the speakers), then watched baseball on ESPNHD for a while, and I was thrilled with my huge new screen and all. Everything was great, then I started flipping through the channels a bit and found my way down to the standard channels again. And then the image the screen put forth was a "screen and a half." I don't know what else to call it - the full image that I'm supposed to see was moved all the way to the left, and to the right of that full image, there was the left half of the image again. I changed to another channel and it didn't help. Even the program guide (TimeWarner digital cable) was 1.5 screens. I switched the setting from Native to 4:3 to 16:9 back to Native, and nothing helped.

Please tell me this is common and that there is an easy way to fix this. Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The "Auto-Image" button (on the remote) is your friend...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I tried that, but it was late and maybe I overlooked it. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight - I hope that's all it takes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've actually had this same exact problem problem with Time Warner in NYC and the Scientific Atlanta cable box using the DVI connection (I'm assuming that you're using the DVI as well). It would happen when I had the equipment turned off for a few days and when I came back and powered everything on, I got the "1.5 screen". Auto-image did nothing for me. I called TW and they said that they didn't support the DVI connect for that box. I told them that I've been getting a picture but now it's bugging out. They told me that since it wasn't supported that they couldn't help me.

So I went in to exchange the box for a Pioneer that supported DVI but the rep told me that the Scientific boxes have been fixed and I exchanged mine for another one. Came home and plugged everything in and everything works fine now.

See if you can exchange the box for another one. You might have a faulty DVI plug.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, simbany. I actually have an HDMI cable taking the signal from TW's SA8300 box into my HDMI/M1 adapter. I'm heading upstairs in a few minutes to power it on and hope that everything gets worked out without any hassles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anyone curious about this, I ran into the same problem the other night - I watched some SD programming, then flipped over to watch a movie on an HD channel, then switched back to an SD channel, and the 1.5 screen reared its ugly head again. I tried the Auto Image button and everything else I could think of. Nothing worked...until I turned off the cable box and turned it back on.

Any thoughts/input/suggestions?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
You mentioned you are using hdmi. It sounds like you may have set your SA box to "pass through" the video signal. So when you are watching SDTV, the box will try to pass through 480i through hdmi. The m1 port will not process 480i content correctly. Go into the SA box setup and disable 480i output so that all 480i content will be scaled to 480p or set your box to a fixed resolution at 720p or 1080i.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
You mentioned you are using hdmi. It sounds like you may have set your SA box to "pass through" the video signal. So when you are watching SDTV, the box will try to pass through 480i through hdmi. The m1 port will not process 480i content correctly. Go into the SA box setup and disable 480i output so that all 480i content will be scaled to 480p or set your box to a fixed resolution at 720p or 1080i.
Exactly what I was thinking -- i had a similar problem with my SA box using DVI until I disabled 480i as an output option. Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll definitely give that a shot tomorrow night, Ja. Huge thanks in advance if that solves it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.