AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if people use the TrueLife option when watching HDTV?

TrueLife seems to improve Standard def signals like Sat or Cable

but it seems to take away sharpness for me when using it with a 1080i source. TruLife makes the picture much darker when engaged but I'm wondering if this enhancement is just for Standard Def signals and if it does more harm than good on a 1080i source.

Hoping some other SP owners can try this out and let me know what they think.

My Settings:

1080i TruLife on Video Gamma

1080i TruLife off Film1 Gamma

Just wondering what other SP owners out there have to say about it?

Tim.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
TrueLife engages the Faroudja scaler/deinterlacer. If you deselect it, the SP7200 uses the embedded Pixelworks scaler instead. Both scalers are very good, according to Bob Williams past posts.

The Pixelworks deinterlacer is not as good as Faroudja's. Because of this the PJ defaults to TrueLife when it receives an interlaced signal.

The differences in "darkness of the picture" probably indicate that you need to accurately set Contrast and Brightness levels for your particular input and resolution. The SP7200 has separate memories for 1080i and 720P for each input that can accept those signals. Setting it for one, does not set it for the other.

Good Luck

Glenn

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glenn,

I have HD running into my 5700 via Component on input 3, when I turn TrueLife on or off I am doing it from the menu while still on Input 3. This means my input and resolution are staying the same.

All my settings can be at 50 and when I turn TrueLife on or off they remain at 50. Whatever gamma I have selected also remains regardelss of the TrueLife being on or off.

I would just like to know where this major brightness/contrast difference is coming from. I still think to my eyes TrueLife takes away sharpness when engaged.

I would like to hear what other 5700/7200 owners prefer with an HD source

Either:

TrueLife on with Video Gamma

Or TrueLife off with Film 1 or 2 gamma

Tim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.