AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the SP7200 hooked up to a Sony SAT-HD200 box.. Originally it was connected with just component cables to a B&K AVR-507 and I had no issues - great picture. I recently purchased the Infocus SP-M1-10M cable and connected this cable as well. When I switched over (you have to flip a switch on the back of the SAT box to switch between cables) to use the new DVI cable I started noticing sparkies? (white flashes that are easily seen on blacks). The odd thing is that I am unable to get 1080i format while toggling through the formats on my SAT box (i.e. viewing the HD channels on Directv). The sparkies only occur at 720P and not 480P. I have performed the software upgrade to 3.2.

Has anyone seen the problem I am having or do you have any suggestions on what I should do? I've heard of problems with DVI cables longer than 10 feet but I've also read users having no problems with this particular cable when hooked to their DVD. I am very pleased with the picture provided by the component cables but I was expecting a noticeable improvement with the DVI cable.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated,

- Brian

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have an external scaler (CS-2; mainly to have SDI input from the DVD), which feeds the IF7200 via the 10m DVI cable. With correct timing setup, no sparkles but when the scaler has wrong timing, I see colorful spikes, even though the resolution is 720p. (The CS-2 has a few 720p output choices, not all equal.)

All digital video path from the DVD to the eye sure sounds cool and does not look too bad either. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
I had the sparklies. Changed cables. Sparklies gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TCB, Did you switch one Infocus SP-M1-10 dvi cable for a new one or did you use another brand?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by angilasaurus
!!! .

You should always run the box at 720p (the native resolution of the 7200) to prevent additional scaling.

JOHN
One additional thought about this. I don't know what kind of scaling Sony employs in its box, and John may know something about it which I don't. If so he should feel free to correct the accuracy of what I am about to say.

With a DVI DVD player, set it to output 720P. However, with HD, it is best to set the box to output whatever resolution it receives, provided that is one of the options. That way the box does no scaling. The top of the line scaler/deinterlacer built into the SP7200 does it all. Now, if that isn't one of the options built into the Sony settop box, then I would think it is better to set the box to output 1080i, because that is probably the resolution that the box is receiving for most if not all of its HD programing. That lets the SP7200 do the scaling to 720P, instead of the set top box.

Now in terms of practical difference. My HD cable looks about the same whether I set it to output 720P or 1080i. I think it might look slightly better at 1080i, but it is so close that I can't be sure. However, the deinterlacing in my SP7200 seems better than that in my cable box. There were some motion artifacts at 720P that are not there at 1080i.

I came to the above conclusions after reading through the the HD forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.