AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 5 year old SP7200 that's been running great since installation. Recently, a strange imperfection appeared on the display and I need some help with a diagnosis.

The bulb has 2200+ hours on it (yes, I know it's time to replace).

There's nothing on the outer lenses (that I can see).

It's not on the screen, it's in the projected image.

It happens with all sources, even the blue standby display.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the same issue with mine some time ago. It's just some piece of dust in the light path. To clear it, you have to spray compressed air through the hole inside the projector showing the wheel. It's accessible when you remove the lamp.

You have to buy a canister of dry compressed air and position the nozzle one or two centimeters away from the hole. Do not put it directely in the hole as the cold air could generate condensation on the wheel.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I took the advice, removed the lamp and blew out the dust. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled the projector, it won't power ON!! I now have a clicking noise coming from one of the fans and the entire machine is DEAD. No kidding.

This totally sucks. Everything has been working fine for 5 years with no problems until I took this damn thing down.

I'm getting a very similar result as this guy claimed a couple of years ago with the same unit: http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...ghlight=sp7200

This thread never led to an answer... any ideas ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interactive,

My SP7200 totally died a couple weeks ago. I do not even get a power light on it or fan. Nothing. I did some searching around and apparently the SP7200 had issues with faulty power supplies. There are a couple places that will repair them (looks to cost around $300 + shipping), but I didn't see putting that much money in repairing a 5 year old unit (especially since my bulb was the original bulb and was nearing needing replacing). Hence, I have a Epson 6500UB on order.

The links I found for places that would repair them came from AVS forums. I don't remember them, but if you have trouble finding them let me know and I will see if I can find the links in my browser history.

It really sucks, because I know how much the SP7200 cost 5 years ago... however, on the other hand, I was getting the itch to upgrade to a 1080p unit after helping a buddy install a new Mits 5500.

Not sure if your problem is the same as what I experienced... but I thought it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossiman /forum/post/15457007

Interactive,

My SP7200 totally died a couple weeks ago. I do not even get a power light on it or fan. Nothing. I did some searching around and apparently the SP7200 had issues with faulty power supplies. There are a couple places that will repair them (looks to cost around $300 + shipping), but I didn't see putting that much money in repairing a 5 year old unit (especially since my bulb was the original bulb and was nearing needing replacing). Hence, I have a Epson 6500UB on order.

The links I found for places that would repair them came from AVS forums. I don't remember them, but if you have trouble finding them let me know and I will see if I can find the links in my browser history.

It really sucks, because I know how much the SP7200 cost 5 years ago... however, on the other hand, I was getting the itch to upgrade to a 1080p unit after helping a buddy install a new Mits 5500.

Not sure if your problem is the same as what I experienced... but I thought it might be worth looking into.

This is making me sick! This morning my son and I were playing video games with no problems at all (other than the alleged dust blob effect) and now I have nothing. I, too, have been itching for an upgrade since my lamp was due for replacement as well, but I'm not nearly ready.

I've read up on some of the power supply/control board issues, but the timing makes me suspect that this has something to do with me blowing air into the unit to clear the dust. Sure, I have bad luck, but what are the odds of the power supply working immediately before removing the unit, then suddenly stopping upon power up?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you figure out some easy (cheap) way to get it working again, please post a message or PM me. I would love to get mine working again so I could at least sell it on Ebay and make something off of it.

Sorry you are dead in the water! It is painful living without a projector!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm contacting the people at justrepairs.com tomorrow to see about getting this repaired this week. I've got NFL playoffs coming up this weekend and I'm not watching them on something smaller than 110"!!

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive /forum/post/15456890

This thread never led to an answer... any ideas ?

Bet you it's the power supply. Very common failure item in older SP7200s. My 6-yr old unit died 3 months ago.

Figured it was a good opportunity to upgrade to a RS-20 with a non-operative vertical lens shift. Lucky for me I sent the SP7200 off to another member to salvage for parts. Otherwise I'd have more than $14k tied up in 2 broken projectors. As it is now, I only have 1 broken projector to deal with.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive /forum/post/15457095

Sure, I have bad luck, but what are the odds of the power supply working immediately before removing the unit, then suddenly stopping upon power up?!

Seems too coincidental to me.

Have you tried taking the lamp back out and then reseating it?

First disconnect the power from the pj. Remove the lamp housing and make sure the power connection to the lamp housing is firmly is plugged all the way in. Then make sure the lamp housing is pushed all of the way back into it's compartmennt and the door panel is completely closed.

Say a little prayer. Plug the pj back in and power it up. With a little luck you'll be using it for the playoffs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer /forum/post/15460311

Seems too coincidental to me.

I AGREE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer /forum/post/15460311

Have you tried taking the lamp back out and then reseating it?

First disconnect the power from the pj. Remove the lamp housing and make sure the power connection to the lamp housing is firmly is plugged all the way in. Then make sure the lamp housing is pushed all of the way back into it's compartmennt and the door panel is completely closed.

Say a little prayer. Plug the pj back in and power it up. With a little luck you'll be using it for the playoffs.

I tried this (including the prayer) to no avail. In fact, I've removed and re-seated the lamp 3-4 times now convinved that something was not reinstalled correctly. Unfortunately, the results I'm getting are exactly as others have described them when their units failed...even down to the faint clicking noise and the hard-to-see flickering power light. I've got the unit here in my office so I can try to re-seat this lamp 200-300 mores times today.

Going down the path that something I did must have caused this.... can a lamp suddenly fail completely? Is it possible that my removal of the lamp caused its demise? (The lamp had over 2000 hours on it, 66%+ of its life). If the lamp failed, would it cause these symptoms?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive /forum/post/15461444

Going down the path that something I did must have caused this.... can a lamp suddenly fail completely? Is it possible that my removal of the lamp caused its demise? (The lamp had over 2000 hours on it, 66%+ of its life).

I guess anything is possible. With over 2000 hours on it, the electrodes in the lamp certainly could have been close to the end of their useful life and the vibrations caused by removing the lamp simply pushed it over the edge.

Quote:
If the lamp failed, would it cause these symptoms?

I haven't had to replace the lamp on my 7210 yet so I honestly don't know. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best price I could find on replacement lamps:

http://www.electrified.com/Catalog/I...el=SP-LAMP-006

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you hear a faint clicking sound this most likely your power supply went bad for some reason. I've been working on projectors for 6+ years and I can repair this problem for you at a very affordable price. if you want to get rid of it I buy it as well.

For reference my ebay id is gtitubro

1 - 14 of 14 Posts