AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This finally got it's official release in Canada today (a bit late for some reason) and I picked up a copy. As is usually the case at my nearest retailer, I had to ask for it and make them search "in the back". The eight hundred copies of Inception leave little room for catalogue titles on the shelf. It's a running joke..."Whatever I want to buy is whatever you guys have stashed in the back".

Let me be the first to admit that this isn't particularly engaging sci-fi material. Of all "classic" sci-fi, this is a series that is less likely to connect to the generation that didn't see it when they were younger.

This isn't a problem for me as I can easily enjoy things from this era as period pieces of my youth. Furthermore, having grown up with an English mother (she came to Canada as a teenager) and watched English shows on the CBC, I have a sensibility that endures plodding, British story development. BTW, it seems that Bill Hunt at thedigitalbits and I were watching it "together" in 1975. He mentions having watched it on the CBC while living on his grandparent's farm in North Dakota near the Canadian border. That could only have been the CBC station here in Winnipeg where I was also watching it.

There are still some mistaken pictures of the packaging on the net and some confusion about the specs. There are 7 discs in the set. Only 5 of the discs are Blu-rays and they contain the actual series. 2 discs are DVDs with extras.

The shows are in their broadcast 4:3 aspect ratio. The audio is still mislabeled as "DTS-HD Master Audio" on the package. In fact, it is simple DTS. I doubt if anybody could hear the difference but, for the sake of truth in labeling, that fact should be noted. Some reviews have noted this error but some have not.

The image quality is absolutely superb. It's as close to perfect as possible. In the deep recesses of my mind, I still think of myself as a teenager watching this "new" TV show so it doesn't surprise me that it looks so good. But my more immediate brain (deficient as it may be) realizes that this material is 35 years old. It really looks astounding.

The packaging is the same style as used for The Twilight Zone. I love it.

In terms of quality of presentation (not story), this release is very close to The Twilight Zone. But I'll still give the edge to TZ by virtue of it's lossless audio and printed episode guide.

I'll again express my sadness that the MAJOR studios aren't willing to do BD releases of some of their classic series or at least license them to somebody else. Space: 1999 is interesting but it's not especially compelling TV. I'd love to see one of the great Irwin Allen shows like Lost in Space or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on Blu-ray. But, as we've come to learn, the business model for companies like Fox (which controls the Irwin Allen shows) is huge volume and low prices.

·
Registered
24,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/19649092

This finally got it's official release in Canada today (a bit late for some reason) and I picked up a copy. As is usually the case at my nearest retailer, I had to ask for it and make them search "in the back". The eight hundred copies of Inception leave little room for catalogue titles on the shelf. It's a running joke..."Whatever I want to buy is whatever you guys have stashed in the back".

Let me be the first to admit that this isn't particularly engaging sci-fi material. Of all "classic" sci-fi, this is a series that is less likely to connect to the generation that didn't see it when they were younger.

This isn't a problem for me as I can easily enjoy things from this era as period pieces of my youth. Furthermore, having grown up with an English mother (she came to Canada as a teenager) and watched English shows on the CBC, I have a sensibility that endures plodding, British story development. BTW, it seems that Bill Hunt at thedigitalbits and I were watching it "together" in 1975. He mentions having watched it on the CBC while living on his grandparent's farm in North Dakota near the Canadian border. That could only have been the CBC station here in Winnipeg where I was also watching it.

There are still some mistaken pictures of the packaging on the net and some confusion about the specs. There are 7 discs in the set. Only 5 of the discs are Blu-rays and they contain the actual series. 2 discs are DVDs with extras.

The shows are in their broadcast 4:3 aspect ratio. The audio is still mislabeled as "DTS-HD Master Audio" on the package. In fact, it is simple DTS. I doubt if anybody could hear the difference but, for the sake of truth in labeling, that fact should be noted. Some reviews have noted this error but some have not.

The image quality is absolutely superb. It's as close to perfect as possible. In the deep recesses of my mind, I still think of myself as a teenager watching this "new" TV show so it doesn't surprise me that it looks so good. But my more immediate brain (deficient as it may be) realizes that this material is 35 years old. It really looks astounding.

The packaging is the same style as used for The Twilight Zone. I love it.

In terms of quality of presentation (not story), this release is very close to The Twilight Zone. But I'll still give the edge to TZ by virtue of it's lossless audio and printed episode guide.

I'll again express my sadness that the MAJOR studios aren't willing to do BD releases of some of their classic series or at least license them to somebody else. Space: 1999 is interesting but it's not especially compelling TV. I'd love to see one of the great Irwin Allen shows like Lost in Space or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on Blu-ray. But, as we've come to learn, the business model for companies like Fox (which controls the Irwin Allen shows) is huge volume and low prices.

Thanks for spending the time to post your thoughts. Personally, I can enjoy both old films for the same reasons you posted regarding old TV. It just allows a type of escape.

I too would enjoy Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on BD.Outer Limits certainly would be another.

Art

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I'm hoping for a Bd release of The Avengers.

I picked up Space:1999 last week when it hit $49.99 on Amazon, but I'm on the fence about keeping it. Not only is the 'science' aspect of the show ridiculous, but (even worse) the 'fiction' aspect is plodding. I keep thinking I will enjoy this as a chance to wallow in 70s nostalgia, but even that wears out quick when the material is weak.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn
Thanks for spending the time to post your thoughts. Personally, I can enjoy both old films for the same reasons you posted regarding old TV. It just allows a type of escape.

I too would enjoy Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on BD.Outer Limits certainly would be another.

Art

Art,

Have you seen you good the standard DVD's of Voyage look? Fantastic! The richness and texture of film is unbeatable. Blu Ray of VTTBOTS or Man From Uncle would be my holy grail!

Tom

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Ah, nostalgia

I bought the A&E boxed set of Space 1999 DVD's years ago and enjoyed them, remembering the show quite well from my childhood. But let's be honest, it could be hokey

The set designs, spacecraft, actors & acting were all pretty good. Unfortunately, as someone points out, the whole premise, the science, cruising on a moon to other star systems (speed of light barrier anyone?) is all ridiculous!

But that's part of its charm, I guess. But am I double-dipping to get it on BD? No.....

As a kid, I used to love Voyage to Bottom of the Sea. Bought 2 seasons, watched them, and decided it was all too stupid to enjoy the last 2 seasons, which got progressively "stupider". The DVD's do look good, but most of the episodes with giant fish-men monsters & Cpt Crane turning into a werewolf, make GREAT fodder for Mystery Science Theater
The original Voyage movie with Walter Pidgeon is different, actually pretty well done, decent story & acting - that should be a BD someday.

The original Outer Limits "could" be good on BD but they haven't held up as well as Twilight Zone. I just finished watching the whole boxed set a few weeks ago. They'd need a good re-mastering & updated sound.

IMO, besides Twilight Zone, the best nostalgia show to update on BD would be The Avengers. I'd go for that one - Diana Rigg in her prime in leather

For more modern SF, Farscape & Babylon 5 on BD would be cool!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I was a huge Space:1999 nerd as a kid in the 70s. Thus, I was surprised when I stumbled upon the announcement for this BD set, and ordered it immediately and got it a few weeks ago (I'm in the U.S.). I should have waited, since the price dropped after I got it and I just watched the first episode last night, but oh well.

It's better (plotwise and video quality-wise) than I expected. I expected the PQ to be pretty good, but based on all the sloppy transfers of movies newer than Space:1999 I expected little clean-up to be done. It looks great!

Plot-wise, although a little plodding, I didn't cringe like I thought I might. The acting was OK (the dramatic close-ups were a little much, resembling a soap-opera for artificial tension), and the special effects have held up pretty good (although you can tell the Eagles are little models in a big sand box
)

Gonna try to watch more this weekend.

shinksma

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Space 1999 tried to go for a 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe a lot of the time; the shows in the first season mixed equal parts sci-fi with spiritualism and mysticism. Personally, I enjoyed the first season; you have to be in the right mood to watch them but if you liked them as a kid they still hold up.

Even during its first run the show was knocked for being too slow and plodding and the producers definitely upped the action quotient in the second season. They also tried to sex up the series by introducing Maya, a shape shifting alien as part of the cast. I found the second season far less charming as the plots were far more cookie cutter. The second season was produced by Fred Frieberger, who also presided over the original Star Trek's last season and the results for both shows were similar.

For anyone who likes Space 1999, you should also try to check out U.F.O., another Jerry Anderson series that was in many ways the spiritual prequel to Space 1999. The show takes place in 1970 and features the exploits of SHADO, a secret military organization who's mission is to protect Earth from extra-terrestrials who are trying to harvest out body parts. The special effects are outstanding and there is a lot of action, although it definitely has a 1960s vibe to it and parts of it look really dated. Still a lot of fun though.

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP
Personally, I enjoyed the first season
I agree on season 1.

I think the episodes in 1 hold up better than season 2, with the exception of course adding Maya

Anyone have a chance to compare the A&E DVD's to the BD's? Big improvement or just a modest one?

Maybe down the road I'd consider double-dipping this one but not for awhile.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn
Tom,

Yes, I have them and you're right they look as good as DVD can IMO.

Art
Not to derail my own thread...but the big problem with the Irwin Allen DVDs is really LOST IN SPACE. Lost in Space was the first set of Allen DVDs released by Fox. They served as a "test case" for the future release of other Allen shows.

They were so poor that the producer in charge of DVD production (Kevin Burns) initially rejected the test pressings because he thought the wrong the wrong masters had been used. In fact, for a previous VHS release Fox had remastered 12 episodes. However, rather than remaster the rest of the show, they elected to use existing video masters from 1981 for the whole series.

Lost in Space looks awful...really awful. It's fuzzy, blurry and has horizontal lines running through every episode.

For whatever reason, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and TIME TUNNEL look gorgeous. They have clearly undergone remastering.

I'm a fan of all the Allen shows but Lost in Space is my favorite and the DVDs are a slap in the face compared to the other Allen DVDs. If you want the best looking Lost in Space, you have to buy the 12 Fox VHS tapes.

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
^^

Original Outer Limits is obviously not an Irwin Allen production, but I thought quite a few episodes in the DVD boxed set were also fuzzy or blurry, poor looking. Almost as if there was a gauziness on the screen.

I didn't do a direct side-by-side comparison but I've recently watched some of my OL laserdiscs & they don't exhibit that. Overall, I'd say the laserdiscs looked AND sounded way better than the DVD's. Maybe too much mpeg compression? That's why I said something would have to be done before they'd be suitable for BD.

back to Space 1999....

and while discussing Gerry Anderson stuff on BD, how about Supercar?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001
Anyone have a chance to compare the A&E DVD's to the BD's? Big improvement or just a modest one?

Maybe down the road I'd consider double-dipping this one but not for awhile.
The only reason I'm on the fence about keeping the set is because the PQ is a HUGE improvement.

DVD Beaver has a review with some nice screencaps up as does Blu-ray.com.

Looks sensational to me.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I got this from amazon for $42. Looks pretty good for 21 hours of TV. Maybe a bit too much DNR and obviously not 4K scans but for tv series it easily impresses. Maybe a notch or 2 below the Twilight Zone but above average too say the least. Interesting the 5th disc hasan episode of season 2 The Metamorph. It actually looks pretty good. I had heard the 2nd series was never remastered. I was curious if anyone new if they remastered this episode for the bluray set or a few of the episodes of season 2 a few years back for British television.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Outer Limits would be worth a bd release imo, as would even Lost in Space imo.

sure it's hokey, and laughable and all that, but it would still be fun to have a blu-ray release for the episodes that are actually decent.

also: what about "mission impossible"? imo that would be worthy of a bd release perhaps.

I don't know anything about the production though to know whether it would be doable.

As far as TV, since my 2 favorite shows have already been released, I'm hoping maybe my final favorite show might have a chance one day.

since it's owned by Paramount, the chances are 0% anytime soon.

but I will still hold out hope for the greatest comedy ever imo--
The Andy Griffith Show!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts