AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
I snagged the Japanese LE release when it came out (because I lost my natural mind)...it's a good-looking disc and movie, but that lack of English subtitles was a drag.
I don't think I'll get the HK release, but I'd love to know how it stacks up...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got the HK bluray edition from playasia.com for $34.40 (out of stock at the moment):

http://www.play-asia.com/Space_Battl...n-70-4c1h.html

I've never seen the Japanese bluray but the HK release looks excellent in 1080p. There are options for Cantonese and Japanese audio, along with Chinese or English subtitles. The disc also includes three special feature shorts that total 39 minutes.

As for the movie itself, the first half is excellent. However, the story falls completely apart in the second half and has an ending that will make you scratch your head wondering what happened. There is plenty of fan service relating to the animated series and movies though so Yamato fans will appreciate that.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but is this made after the cartoon Star Blazers? I remember this as a kid, and that is what the cover art reminds me of.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 /forum/post/20869374

Forgive my ignorance but is this made after the cartoon Star Blazers? I remember this as a kid, and that is what the cover art reminds me of.

Yes but I've heard the storyline is a little different/changed from the cartoon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The new live action movie is a rough re-interpretation of the original TV series, which Starblazers is based on. As is the case whenever a TV series is adapted into a movie, plot elements get changed or omitted entirely in order to fit a two hour movie format. The Yamato movie makes some very significant changes to both with varying results. There are some major changes to the ending that quite honestly seem rather half baked and under-developed.

Starblazers itself is a significantly Americanized adaptation of the first two seasons of Space Cruiser Yamato from the 70's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts