AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my dilemma ... I am now at drywall stage ( drywall & hat channel get delivered on friday )

Room size is 23'3" X 14'3"X8'5" finished

I drew up this quick sketch to illustrate the dimensions of the space and the intended riser location/size

The screen is a Carada 136" 2.37:1 brilliant White and originally I had intended for the front row ( eye to screen ) to be ~ 11' and 18' to the back row

2 rows of 4 Coaster recliners

My wife and I have been going back and forth over this as to whether or not to add the eating bar behind the back row of seats

My question is for those of you that built a eating bar at the back of the theater - how deep was the bar and how much room would take up ?

Note that I have a hallway at the back to gain access to the bathroom and I am not sure how close I want to get that front row to that big a screen

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,366 Posts
I just got out a tape measure and put it on my bar and stools. I could put a wall at 4 ft from the front lip of the sit at "eating" bar. It would be tight and you would have to push the stools in a bit to get around the back.

5 ft would be ideal.

Looking at your diagram you can take 4 inches off the riser and make it 6' 8" That is what I have and add that to the 4 '3" and I think you could make 4'7" work for you, no problem.

My bar is curved an ranges from 18 to 24. If you keep yours less than 20 inches deep you should be OK.

If you need it, I can mock something up with my space and take a picture.

And for the record, I had my dinner sitting at my bar tonight watching American Idol.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was considering doing the same thing, as my space is 15.5' x 26', so I have a ton of length to deal with.

For some reason I was thinking I would have the riser extend and put the bar on top of it, but I like your idea of having the bar come up from the ground.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuster /forum/post/15549242

For some reason I was thinking I would have the riser extend and put the bar on top of it, but I like your idea of having the bar come up from the ground.

It works both ways. If it is in the back of the room it makes sense to be elevated on the riser. If it is open to other areas of the basement it makes sense to be on the ground level.

If you haven't seen them look at BigRed's and Buffbakers back bars for design ideas before you build

Red's (on the riser with desk chairs)

Buff's

also this beauty from this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1022589

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Big ... how far forward would I have to push the riser ? 20 " ?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,366 Posts
The space for the bar is 4' 3" now right? so if you take 4 inches off the back of the riser (it doesn't need to be a full 7' even with fully reclined Berklines) you are up to 4' 7". which gets you in the ball park of acceptable. If you move riser forward 5 inches you are at 5 ft and into the ideal range. Picture to follow.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind in the height of the riser and chairs on it. I too have a third row bar with nearly a 12" riser. That with some fairly tall Berks can make it difficult to see over if the Berks are fully upright even with tall bar stools.

Post 51 of my thread then again around Post 101 shows the riser build

Post 183 shows the countertop installed. In this pic notice how the red blankets make it even taller.

Big has a lower riser which is probably a good idea with the third row. I did the riser height calculator and it said I needed 11.25 inches.

I have 46" from the edge of the counter top to the sliding glass door behind but then again, that is not going to be the major traffic run like you have running to the bathroom.

You could shorten the depth of the riser but I have 7' of depth and I am glad I have it. I initially planned 6' but then after reading a ton in here I bumped it up to seven. I don't want smelly feet from row two in the ears of row one.
If I was crunched for space I might consider 6'6". If you were to find later you wanted 7', You could just push the front row of chairs forward a few inches with out it being a trip hazard.

One last thought. The first row of recliners will back up right against the riser. You don't need the 4" or whatever because the top of the recliner will recline and hang over the front of the riser. When reclinded, your head ends up very close to where the riser is. It appears you have 12' from the screen to the front of the riser. Just keep this in mind when planning. You were thinking 11' and 18' for viewing distance when as drawn you are close to 12' and 19'. I know this is not exact but every 6" count when trying to get a little more elbow room.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,366 Posts
OK, back with pics.

4' 7" from the very front edge of the bar top to the surface of the wall (aka the popcorn machine)

5'

6' 8" riser with 45099 Berkline fully reclined which is not comforatble for viewing, only for sleeping.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys ... I will sketch it up again this afternoon with the eating bar in place, 6'8" riser and the 5' from front edge of bar to back of theater

·
Registered
415 Posts
Time for you to get going on Visio, Scruffy

·
Registered
415 Posts
Big, do you have a link-for-the-lazy for the posts in your build thread that discuss bar construction.

I can use a saw and a nail gun, but I'm better if I have a prototype to follow.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuster /forum/post/15555565

Time for you to get going on Visio, Scruffy

Would be nice but this is a work PC

Old school way for now

as you can see now I would only have a little over 10' to the front of the riser or about 9' for the front row eyes to screen ... that " may " be overwhelming for a 136" scope screen

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well since I posted that I got curious as to whether or not 9' would be too close to my screen ... so I did a search in the 2.35:1 forum and ran across this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ating+distance

at the end a few of them get into a squabble over specifications and such

but bottom line is that more than a few guys are sitting 2 X screen height for their first row of seats

my screen is 53" high ... so for the first row theoretically I could sit 106" or 8'10" from the screen

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bar will be 147" wide to match the riser

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
heh ... I was wondering why you wanted the width

I made it 20" as you recommended

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuster /forum/post/15555582

Big, do you have a link-for-the-lazy for the posts in your build thread that discuss bar construction.

I think there are some pretty good shots in RPh Drew's thread and also Buffbaker's picture album that he linked.

Basically most of these rear bars are nothing but short framed walls with a top.

you start by building the long portion while you are framing up the riser. Then you can screw through the riser back edge into the uprights of the bar wall. Also fasten to the floor like fastening a wall.

Then you add the two end pieces and anything in the middle (if needed for a long bar).

You can skin the bar with anything you want but I used Plywood and MDF. Drywall can work but I like the strength and durability of wood products. After skinning you apply whatever molding you want and install a bar surface.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuster /forum/post/15555582

I can use a saw and a nail gun, but I'm better if I have a prototype to follow.

His thread had this pic:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts