AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on a single row of seats, with a countertop and barstools behind the first row, due to space restrictions in the room i am putting it in. How much space should I have to do this? Would a 12 inch countertop be big enough? Do i need 18 or 24 inches of countertop? How much space from behind the countertop to the wall should one have? What do you think is the absolute minimum?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHT123 /forum/post/18246398

What do you think is the absolute minimum?

12 minimum, 16-18 is better bar depth, my elbow to finger tips is 18 inches, a bar any deeper is waste.

you need minimum of 3 ft behind the bar to the wall.

so all together the minimum is a total of 4 ft to pull this off, I would prefer at least 5.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I did an 18" bar, it is perfect.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have 18" on the main tier. 24" overall as I added a second tier but you don't need that. Any less than 16-18" and you also have to worry about room for you knees under it.

I also agree that 3' behind would be the bare miniumum. I have 4'2" but I also have a sliding glass door back there.

I will assume the bar seats would be only for casual viewing or sports as surround quaility would be poor if you are right on top of the back wall. I think 4'6" to 5' would be minimum.

Lastly, what are you thinking about for rear speakers (if any)? My rears are in ceiling but if you are planning anything that stick out from the back wall you may need a little more room so as not to be runnning into them all the time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I put in a back counter and it is 12" wide. I wanted it as narrow as possible to utilize the space behind my theater chairs.

The 12" width is more than adequate for me. There is plenty of room to rest your arms on it, or place your drink or a big container of popcorn. I ate at it during the super bowl and it was fine for that use as well.

If you can go wider, that would be great. But for functionality, 12" wide is sufficient. The cabinet the top sits on is a U shape, so you have plenty of room to slide underneath the cabinet as well. I do have four feet behind the structure to the back wall.

My back surrounds are bipoles, so the sound while not as good as the chairs, is still good enough. the side surrounds are direct so that hasn't been compromised much either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts