AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me why spades are so often recommended when they can't be effectively used with most binding posts on receivers?

Sure, they fit on speakers' posts, but why not receivers? They all have little guides for bare wire that are in the way for spades.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
There are two principle arguments for spades:

1) They have very high surface area for connection.

2) They can be tightened down very well.

Personally, I use bananas because I need the convenience.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
I've been told that those 'guides' on the receiver's binding posts are actually for safety and are required if the manufacturer wants their device to be UL rated. I don't think that little bit of extra connection area is going to make a large difference on a receiver... just go ahead and either use banana plugs or bare wire.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use spades but not because I think they are any better. Some of my amps have connectors that will take banana or spade connectors. I bi-wire and spades make it simple.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches
There are two principle arguments for spades:

1) They have very high surface area for connection.

2) They can be tightened down very well.
That much I knew, do the main proponents just have amps that take spades? I've played with, purchased, or shopped receivers from almost every low to mid-fi company and none of them can take a spade. You can't fit many spades in the little crack meant for bare wire and you can't take the screw part all the way off either to accomodate some thinner spades.

It just drives me nuts. If banana plugs didn't cost up to 10 times as much it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do not wish to be sinincal in advancement. But I cant wait to hear from someone how they say they can hear the difference between spade connectors and the rest or just bare wire.

Evidence and scientifici tests and double blindfold testing would be good!!!

:D

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wayne,

Mine are narrow spacing which just fit around my Klipsch binding posts, but it's the outside that is the problem. I could get really cheap ones at Rat Shack that would fit in the receiver, but I'm not into aluminum for speaker wire.

benthx, I would just love to know why I ask a question about physically attaching spades to my receiver and you come up with this 'cynical' drivel. BTW, www.dictionary.com

·
Registered
420 Posts
Dear Spiky

The remark about being cynincal was not aimed in your direction.

I find it amusing that people are only too quick to say how they can hear the difference between one thing and another. Especially when it is something as insignificant as the type of connector one could use.

A lot of the difference is a perceived difference based on one emotional attachment to the item and their anticipated result.

I was just trying to illustrate a point overall. Which could be applicable here.

ps will use a spell check next time.

thanks

ben :eek:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by benthx
I was just trying to illustrate a point overall. Which could be applicable here.

How, pray tell??

It's amazing to me that those who want to debate stupid topics that will never be reconciled have to bother those of us looking for real life answers and advice.

Pardon me if this seems rude to you, but go to the AV Improvements section to discuss your point. If you really want to have fun, go to the cables forum at audioreview.com.

On topic: Apparently I will have to be creative in my use of cables or get new ones with banana plugs.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Well, I see this thread is starting to take a turn for the worse :(

We talked about why some people think spades are better than other methods. We assigned no listening observations / criteria or endorsement of any particular connection method, we merely posited the thoughts on why spades could be preferable.

Others talked about blade spacing on the spades available, and needing particual spacing for some binding posts.

Where in this thread does anyone show any kind of attachment towards connector S vs Connector B vs. Connector W?

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.